Original WWII Japanese Katana Samurai Sword - Handmade Blade by KAZUNORI with Leather Covered Scabbard
Original Item: Only One Available. Purchased directly from a WW2 USMC veteran's family this is a wonderful condition Japanese katana. The blade is genuine to a few tell tale characteristics that include:
- Single-hole tang.
- Tang is very clearly signed by the maker.
- The mei (name) on the blade reads 関 住 兼 末 一 則 作, which reads as Seki Ju Kanematsu Kazunori Saku - Kanematsu Kazunori made this at Seki (Arsenal). Kazunori was a known seki arsenal smith. Kanematsu can also be written as 兼 松 or 兼 待, which leads to some confusion. This smith's real name was 兼松 一市 - Kanematsu Ichi-shi.
- Hole in tang is drilled, consistent with 19th century manufacture.
- Folded steel blade (fold lines are evident on the spine)
- Vibrant visible temper line ("hamon").
- Wonderful leather covered wood scabbard.
Offered in very good condition with an incredible temper line, it is still razor sharp and nearly nick free. Blade length is approximately 26.5" and overall length 36.5".
Round tsuba (cross guard) with menuki (grip decoration), and a nice Kashira (End Cap), one bamboo securing peg still present. Excellent faux stingray Sa-Me (grip) with complete Ito (cloth binding). The Scabbard (saya) is wood, with Japanese WWII leather cover.
It has been over one thousand years ago that the art of making swords appeared in Japan. The swordsmiths of the time may not have known it but they were creating a legendary sword. The Samurai sword has seen combat in many battlefields. From the early days of the Samurai warrior to the fierce battles in the South Pacific during WWII.
Each hand-made Samurai sword is unique because it is forged from steel stock. A tremendous amount of work is dedicated to creating these pieces. They were an instrument of war as much as a beautiful artifact to adorn a room.
The Samurai sword has grown to be one of the most highly desired military antiques.
- This product is available for international shipping.
- Eligible for all payments - Visa, Mastercard, Discover, AMEX, Paypal, Amazon & Sezzle