Item:
ONJR22PPSR097

In stock

Original WWII Italian Army 36th Infantry Division “Forli” Infantry Lieutenant-Colonel’s Service Uniform

Regular price $595.00

Splitit Learn More

Item Description

Original Item: Only One Available. This is a very nice example of an Infantry Officer’s High-Quality Tailor Made Uniform to a Lieutenant Colonel from the 36th “Forli” Infantry Division. The Division was engaged in the French Campaign of 1940, and continued on to serve in Albania and Greece until the capitulation of Italian Forces in 1943. The uniform consists of tunic, and breeches. The overall condition of the pieces is excellent with only minor wear from age.

The fine two pocket four button wool tunic is made of a fine gabardine elastique wool, with turnback cuffs, and velvet collar. The Infantry Officer Shoulder titles are a brass false-embroidered design, and match one another as well. Each Collar is fitted with the Mostrine (collar tab) of the 36th Division.

Trousers are constructed of a matching material, and include the general officer’s inseam stripe.

Italian WWII uniforms are quite rare, especially those of high ranking officers. The set is offered in wonderful condition ready to display!

Measurements:
Collar to shoulder: 9”
Shoulder to sleeve: 22.5”
Shoulder to shoulder: 16”
Chest width: 16”
Waist width: 14.5”
Hip width: 17”
Front length: 27.5"
Pants Waist: 30"
Pants Inseam: 24.5"

The Forli Infantry Division:
The 36th Infantry Division "Forlì" (Italian: 36ª Divisione di fanteria "Forlì") was an infantry division of the Royal Italian Army during World War II. The Forlì was classified as a mountain infantry division, which meant that the division's artillery was moved by pack mules instead of the horse-drawn carriages of line infantry divisions. Italy's real mountain warfare divisions were the six alpine divisions manned by Alpini mountain troops. The division was formed on 31 March 1939 and named for the city of Forlì. The division was based in Saluzzo and most of its troops were drafted in the surrounding Langhe region in southern Piedmont. The division's two infantry regiments were based in Alba (43rd) and Saluzzo (44th), with the division's artillery regiment also based in Saluzzo.

On 10 June 1940 the Forlì was the part of the Italian 1st Army and took part in the Italian invasion of France.The division was initially deployed on the French border in defensive positions in the Argentera valley and between the Rocca Peroni and Monte Maniglia mountains. On 22 June 1940 the Forlì attacked towards Meyronnes and the road junction of La Condamine-Châtelard, after bypassing French defenders north of mount Tête de Viraysse, it took the forts of Bec du Lièvre and Tête Dure on 23 June. As result, the Forlì advanced rapidly that day and captured Malboisset, before stopping before the village of Larche at the news of the Franco-Italian Armistice.

In early 1941 the Forlì moved to Albania to augment the Italian forces fighting in the Greco-Italian War. On 12 February 1941 it entered the frontline west of Lake Ohrid, in the Librazhd-Kalivaç-Dunicë area and partly along the Shkumbin river. On 20 February the Greek army attacked the Forlì positions, focusing on mount Kosicës and the Kalivaç valley in Korçë municipality. On April 10 1941 the Forlì went on the offensive as part of German-led Battle of Greece. The division attacked from Vloçisht to Gurisht. By 14 April 1941 it moved towards Leminot. When the Greek Army began to retreat due to the Germans' rapid advance in the east, and Forlì was able to reach Ersekë on 17 April 1941, where it stop at the Aoös river. After the Greek surrender the division was ordered to Larissa for occupation duties.

While the Forlì was on occupation duty in Greece the division's regimental depots in Italy raised the 154th Infantry Division "Murge": the depot of the 43rd Infantry Regiment "Forlì" raised the 259th Infantry Regiment "Murge", the depot of the 44th Infantry Regiment "Forlì" raised the 260th Infantry Regiment "Murge", and the depot of the 36th Artillery Regiment "Forlì" raised the 154th Artillery Regiment "Murge".

In August 1942 the Forlì was assigned occupation and coastal defence duties at Larissa, Volos and Lamia. In 1943, the Forlì has relocated further south, covering the Lamia – Amfikleia – Livadeia – Thebes and Attica area. Also, the Forlì was responsible for the control of the Euripus Strait, the island of Euboea and the area surrounding Athens.

On 5-6 March 1943, troops of the Forlì set the town of Servia on fire in retaliation for the defeat and capture of an Italian battalion at the Battle of Fardykambos by the Greek Resistance.

The Forlì surrendered to the German forces in Greece after the Armistice of Cassibile and was dissolved 16 September 1943.

  • This product is available for international shipping.
  • Eligible for all payments - Visa, Mastercard, Discover, AMEX, Paypal, Amazon & Sezzle

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Cash For Collectibles