Original WWI U.S. M1917 Doughboy Helmet with Replicated 3rd Battalion 6th Marines Marking - 2nd Division
Original Item: Only One Available. This is a very nice M1917 "Doughboy" helmet, brought back home after the war. To make it a better display piece, the front was marked by a collector with a very nice U.S.M.C. EGA painted emblem, over a 3rd Battalion, 6th Marines, 2nd Infantry Division insignia. Marines under this division used specific colors and shapes behind the "Indianhead" to designate which unit they were in, and the "blue diamond" indicates the 3rd battalion of the 6th Marine Regiment, part of the 4th Marine Brigade.
On the rear, it has another insignia, for the 4th MG bn. above a picture of what looks to be a painting of a French WWI Hotchkiss M1914 Machine gun. The second-largest user of the Hotchkiss was the American Expeditionary Force in France between 1917 and 1918, with the US purchasing and deploying 7,000 Hotchkiss machine guns during the war.
The markings are just a bit contradictory, as the 4th Machine Gun Battalion was an independent unit under the 2nd Division, and not a USMC unit. From writing inside the shell, it seems that it was intended for one side at a time to be displayed, so the helmet is technically for both units.
This very nice example is complete with a liner, and still has original period paint on the outer shell. The shell is maker marked with a stamping on the underside of the rim that reads 14 A. This maker marking indicates that this is a U.S. produced shell, which is further indicated by the solid rivets used to retain the chin strap bales.
The shell still retains much of the original paint, but there is degradation and surface rust overall, as expected on a 100 year old helmet. The liner is intact, and still has an intact felt top pad, as well as the original label on the crown. The oil cloth is in great shape, as is the netting, with some dirt and staining from age. The chin strap is unfortunately almost completely missing below the bales.
A very nice WWI helmet, with very well executed replica markings. Ready to display!
More on the 2nd Infantry Division - Indianhead
The 2nd Division was first constituted on 21 September 1917 in the Regular Army. It was organized on 26 October 1917 at Bourmont, Haute Marne, France. At the time of its activation, the Indianhead Division was composed of the 3rd Infantry Brigade, which included the 9th Infantry Regiment; the 23rd Infantry Regiment and the 5th Machine Gun Battalion; the 4th Marine Brigade, which consisted of the 5th Marine Regiment, the 6th Marine Regiment and the 6th Machine Gun Battalion; 2nd Brigade of field artillery; 4th Machine Gun Battalion; and various supporting units. Twice during World War I the division was commanded by US Marine Corps generals, Brigadier General Charles A. Doyen and Major General John A. Lejeune (after whom the Marine Corps Camp in North Carolina is named), the only time in U.S. military history when Marine Corps officers commanded an Army division.
The division spent the winter of 1917–18 training with French and Scottish veterans. Though judged unprepared by French tacticians, the American Expeditionary Force (AEF) was committed to combat in the spring of 1918 in a desperate attempt to halt a German advance toward Paris. Major General Edward Mann Lewis Commanded the 3rd Brigade as they deployed to reinforce the battered French along the Paris to Metz road. The Division first fought at the Battle of Belleau Wood and contributed to shattering the four-year-old stalemate on the battlefield during the Château-Thierry campaign that followed.
On 28 July 1918, Marine Corps Major General Lejeune assumed command of the 2nd Division and remained in that capacity until August 1919, when the unit returned to the US. The division went on to win hard-fought victories at Soissons and Blanc Mont. Finally the Indianhead Division participated in the Meuse-Argonne Offensive which ended any German hope for victory. On 11 November 1918 the Armistice was declared, and the 2nd Division entered Germany, where it assumed occupation duties until April 1919. 2nd Division returned to U.S. in July 1919.
The 2nd Division was three times awarded the French Croix de guerre for gallantry under fire at Belleau Wood, Soissons, and Blanc Mont. This entitles current members of the division and of those regiments that were part of the division at that time (including the 5th and 6th Marine Regiments) to wear a special lanyard, or fourragère, in commemoration. The Navy authorized a special uniform change that allows hospital corpsmen assigned to 5th and 6th Marine Regiments to wear a shoulder strap on the left shoulder of their dress uniform so that the fourragère can be worn.
The division lost 1,964 (including USMC: 4,478) killed in action and 9,782 (including USMC: 17,752) wounded in action.
History of the M1917 Helmet:
The M1917 was the US Army's first modern combat helmet, used from 1917 and during the 1920s, before being replaced by the M1917A1. The M1917A1 helmet was an updated version of the M1917 and initially used refurbished WW1 shells.
The M1917 is a near identical version of the British MkI steel helmet, and it is important to note that when the US joined the Great War in 1917 they were initially issued with a supply of around 400,000 British made Mk.Is, before production began state side. The M1917 differed slightly in its lining detail, and exhibited US manufacture markings.
M1917 helmet liners typically show a paper label at the crown and the dome rivet head. The liner is set up as on the British versions, with an oilcloth band and net configuration, attached to a leather strap, riveted to the shell. The chinstrap is leather with steel buckle.
- This product is available for international shipping.
- Eligible for all payments - Visa, Mastercard, Discover, AMEX, Paypal & Sezzle