Original Vietnam War U.S. Navy Heavy Attack Squadron 2 (VAH-2) "Royal Rampants" Swallowtail Guidon Pennant
Original Item: Only One Available. In the United States Military, a guidon is a military standard that company/battery/troop or platoon-sized detachments carry to signify their unit designation and branch/corps affiliation or the title of the individual who carries it. A basic guidon can be rectangular, but more often has a triangular portion removed from the fly (known as "swallow-tailed").
This is a very nice Vietnam War guidon for the U.S. Navy Heavy Attack Squadron 2 (VAH-2) , known as the "Royal Rampants". The guidon indicates it is for DET ALFA, or detachment alfa of the unit. It is constructed from two pieces of what feels like cotton or light canvas cloth, with the unit name heavily embroidered on one side in red. The guidon is in very good condition, with some light staining, as well as some tearing near the upper tie. This definitely looks to have been hanging on a pole for some time, due to the crease patterns at the corners.
Service History of VAH-2:
In November 1955, VP-29 personnel formed the nucleus of the squadron Heavy Attack Squadron Two (VAH-2) "Royal Rampants" and transitioned to the A3D Skywarrior and changed its homeport the following year to NAS Whidbey Island.
During the Vietnam War detachments from VAH-2 were deployed on the following aircraft carriers operating on Yankee and Dixie Stations:
- 5 August 1964 – 6 May 1965, Detachment M A-3Bs were embarked on USS Ranger
- 7 December 1964 – 1 November 1965, A-3Bs were embarked on USS Coral Sea
- 10 December 1965 – 25 August 1966, Detachment F A-3Bs were embarked on USS Ranger
- 29 July 1966 – 23 February 1967, Detachment A A-3Bs were embarked on USS Coral Sea
- 19 November 1966 – 6 July 1967, Detachment M A-3Bs were embarked on USS Enterprise
- 26 July 1967 – 6 April 1968, KA-3Bs were embarked on USS Coral Sea
- 4 November 1967 – 25 May 1968, Detachment 61 KA-3Bs were embarked on USS Ranger
- 3 January-18 July 1968, Detachment 65 KA-3Bs were embarked on USS Enterprise
- 29 May 1968 – 31 January 1969, Detachment 64 KA-3Bs were embarked on USS Constellation
- This product is available for international shipping.
- Eligible for all payments - Visa, Mastercard, Discover, AMEX, Paypal, Amazon & Sezzle