Original U.S. WWII USAAF Pilot Type C-1 Emergency Sustenance Vest - Unissued
Original Item: Only One Available. The C1 survival vest was developed during World War two for use by the Army Airforce. The C1 vest has seen service by both Air force and navy personnel from World War Two through Korea and to a limited extent in Vietnam. The vest was made of dark olive colored green tackle twill and weighed 11 pounds when complete with survival contents. There were three large buttons on the front for closure. The vest was used alone and in conjunction with various seat and back pad survival kits which were also initially developed during World War Two. The C1 vest was designed for use in all parts of the word, however, the C1 proved better suited to the tropical and Arctic regions.
The C1 was issued in one size but was adjustable through three ties at the back and was intended to be worn under the mae west life vest, body armor and the parachute harness, but over the uniform and A2 leather jacket. This however, proved to be too cumbersome when worn in some theaters of operation when all the survival equipment was carried so a modified musette bag that attached to the parachute harness upon bailout was developed. After landing, the crew member could then remove and wear the vest.
Three types of C1 vests are in circulation with the two earliest models having two front slant pockets secured by a large button. The latest model had straight pockets opening from the top and secured by snap catches.
Components Carried (NOT INCLUDED) :
All components are carried in the specifically labeled and numbered outside and inside pockets. A leather and canvas holster with one securing strap is located on the left side of the vest for a standard issue .45 calibre automatic pistol.
Contents of the C1 vest varied on area of deployment, however, the following was a basic list of item carried:
- Box of 20 .45 calibre shells (for pistol)
- Waterproof match case with compass
- Accessory kit containing fire starter tabs pocket knife, oiler, whistle, razor and razor blades
- First aid kit
- Fishing and sewing kit
- Two bladed 5 inch knife
- ESM-2 signalling mirror
- Emergency parachute ration
- Insect repellent (can)
- Sharpening stone
- Five minute signaling flares
- Waterproof plastic pistol cover
- Type D-3 leather gloves and inserts
- Reversible yellow safety cloth hat
- Survival manual
- Mosquito head net
- Spit and gaff assembly
- Type H01 folding sun goggles
- Plastic three pint water bladder
- Gauze bandage (shell dressing
- Instruction/contents manual
This genuine U.S. Army Air Force Type C-1 Emergency Sustenance Vest with .45 cal 1911 Pistol Holster is offered in mint unissued condition.
Data label reads:
VEST: EMERGENCY SUSTENANCE
SPECIFICATION NO. 3206
ORDER NO. (W33-038) AC 6635
WLM CLARK INC
PROPERTY AIR FORCES, U.S. ARMY
- This product is available for international shipping.
- Eligible for all payments - Visa, Mastercard, Discover, AMEX, Paypal, Amazon & Sezzle