Original U.S. WWII Named Pearl Harbor and D-Day 507th Parachute Infantry Regiment Paratrooper Uniform Set

Item Description

Original Items: One-of-a-kind set. Well, this is incredible. An army sergeant name Sergeant Ernest "Bonner" Bongiorno ASN 6982814 who fired machine guns in defense of Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941 and later attended Paratrooper School at Fort Benning and Camp Mackall was then assigned to Company A of the 507th Parachute Infantry Regiment and jumped into Normandy France on D-Day, June 6th, 1944!

He wrote answers to a Pearl Harbor questionnaire a photocopy of which is included in this collection. It reads as follows:

1. Name (optional): Ernest Bonner

2. Age in 1941: 20 Years Old

3. Rank: Private

4. Duties or Responsibility: Protect the Entrance to Pearl Harbor

5. Where or what ship were you assigned to?
No Ship - Assigned to Fort Kamehameham- U.S. Army Extension to Hickam Field.

6. Where and what were you doing during the time of the bombing?
In bed when it first started. Then we set up machine guns on the tennis court behind our barracks. We fired at the Cap planes, downing two of them.

7. What was your reaction to the bombing of Pearl Harbor?
Mostly Anger, some fear. We were surprised and amazed, we couldn't imagine that the Japanese would attack us.

8. How did it affect your plans for life prior to the bombing?
I had 10 more months of service to receive my discharge, instead I received four more years of military life as a U.S. Paratrooper in Europe.

9. Commendations (optional):
Paratrooper Training School and Wings.
Two Bronze Combat Stars
Presidential Citation and other medals.

10. Any other information you would like to add.
My Paratrooper training was at Fort Benning, GA. and Camp Mackall, NC (named for the 1st Paratrooper killed in World War II). I served in the 82nd Airborne Division, rank of Sergeant. There was a long interesting story between Pearl Harbor and Camp Mackall, NC, then onto Europe.

Also included in this set are the following items:

- Original WWII IKE Jacket in size 38S and is nicely ink stamped in multiple places B-2814 which represents his last name Bongiorno and the last four digits of his Army Serial Number 6982814. It features a 17th Airborne Division patch and a ribbon bar with a Pacific Theater ribbon and one star for Pearl Harbor and a European Ribbon with Two Stars. According to his service record he took part in Central Pacific, Normandy and Central Europe.

- Original M42 Jump Jacket in good condition with functional zipper. A white tag on the interior has ink name of "Bonner".

- Army Wool Shirt and tie.

- Printed copies of Honorable Discharge with separation record, Pearl Harbor questionnaire and draft registration card.   

This soldier took active part in the two most significant days of World War Two and American history!

The 507th Parachute Infantry Regiment (PIR) was activated on July 20, 1942 at Fort Benning, GA. Lieutenant Colonel George V Millett Jr was given the command. After jump-training at Fort Benning the regiment deployed to the Army air base at Alliance, Nebraska and became part of the 1st Airborne Brigade.After arriving in North Ireland in December, 1943, the 507th was attached to the 82nd Airborne along with the 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment. Still under the command of Colonel George V. Millett Jr, the 507th moved to Nottingham, England in March, 1944 to prepare for the Allied invasion of Europe.

D-Day - Operation Neptune
The 507th PIR first saw combat during the Normandy invasion - 6 June 1944. The 507th and the 508th PIRs were to be dropped near the west bank of the Merderet River. The objectives of both regiments was to establish defensive positions in those areas and prepare to attack westward sealing off the Cotentin Peninsula.

In the predawn hours of D-Day the sporadic jump patterns of the 507th and 508th PIRs left troopersLt Colonel Charles J Timmes(Picture Courtesy of Rian) spread out over a twenty mile area. Some who overshot the Drop Zone (DZ) dropped into the Merderet River and its adjoining marshes. Many troopers who jumped with heavy equipment were unable to swim free and drowned. Others roamed the countryside until they encountered other units and joined their effort. Even Colonel Millett, the commanding officer of the 507th was unable to muster his troops and was captured three days after the drop in the vicinity of Amfreville. Only the 2nd Battalion under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Charles J Timmes (pictured left) was able to function as a team and began digging in around Cauquigny on the west bank of the Merderet River.

507th PIR Regimental Pocket Patch Upon verification of Colonel Millett's capture, General Ridgway transferred the command of the 507th to Colonel Edson Raff, a veteran of the 509th Parachute Infantry Battalion during Operation Torch. Colonel Raff received this command after fighting his way through to General Ridgway at Les Forges. Colonel Raff would lead the 507th, "Raff's Ruffians" as they would become known, until the end of World War II.

Throughout the confusion the indomitable spirit of the paratroopers in the days and weeks following D-Day enabled the 82nd Airborne to seize La Fiere bridge and push westward to cut off the Cotentin Penninsula. After 33 days of continuous combat the 82nd and 101st Airborne Divisions returned to England aboard LSTs.

In August, 1944 General Matthew Ridgway the 82nd Airborne Commanding General was promoted and took command of the newly formed XVIII Airborne Corps which included the 17th, 82nd and 101st Airborne Divisions. The 504th PIR which sat out the Normandy drop because of depleted ranks suffered at Anzio was now at full strength. Since the 17th Airborne Division was now training in England and in need of another parachute regiment to full out its ranks, it was determined that the battle-tested 507th PIR would be permanently assigned to it. The 17th Airborne Division under General Miley's command would not participate in Operation Market Garden. Instead, it was held in strategic reserve while completing their training.

Battle of the Bulge - The Ardennes Offensive
The Germans launched their last great offensive in Belgium on 16 December, driving west through thinly held positions, and catching the Allies unprepared. Maj. Gen. Troy Middleton's VIII Corps was giving way, and he desperately needed reinforcements.

The 82nd and 101st Airborne Divisions had recently disengaged from operations in Holland and were training and refitting in base camps in the Reims-Suippes-Sissonne area of France. The 17th Airborne Division was in training at base camps in Wiltshire and Surrey, England. Corps Headquarters and Corps troops were split between Epernay, France and Ogbourne St. George, England.

The initial success of the enemy counter-offensive resulted in a decision by General Eisenhower, Supreme Commander, SHAEF to detach the XVIII Airborne Corps from the FAAA and attach it to the Twelfth Army Group. Meanwhile, concurrent action had been taken to move the 82nd and 101st Airborne Divisions by truck to the vicinity of Bastogne, Belgium which was the contingent area assigned by the First U.S. Army. Poor weather conditions initially kept the 17th Airborne Division in England. However, they were later able to fly into action from England and fought under the Third U.S. Army.

From 23 to 25 December, elements of the Division were flown to the Reims area in France in spectacular night flights. These elements closed in at Mourmelon. After taking over the defense of the Meuse River sector from Givet to Verdun, 25 December, the 17th moved to Neufchateau, Belgium, then marched through the snow to Morhet, relieving the 28th Infantry Division, 3 January 1945.

Initially, the 507th PIR and the 193rd Glider Infantry Regiment (GIR) were kept in reserve in anticipation of a German counter attack. However, once the 17th Airborne Division cleared the western side of Bastogne of all German units, the 507th PIR and the 193rd GIR turned eastward and led an attack across Luxembourg to the Our River. On February 10, 1945 the 507th PIR was relieved and returned to its base camp at Chalons-sur-Marne in France.

Operation Varsity - The Airborne Assault on the Rhine
In early February 1945, the tide of battle was such as to enable an accurate estimate as to when and where the 2nd British Army would be ready to force a crossing of the Rhine River. It was determined that the crossing would be in conjunction with an airborne operation by XVIII Airborne Corps.

The sector selected for the assault was in the vicinity of Wesel, just north of the Ruhr, on 24 March 1945. Operation Varsity would be the last full scale airborne drop of World War II and the assignment went to the 17th Airborne Division with the 507th spearheading the assault dropping at the southern edge of the Diersfordter Forest, three mile northwest of Wesel.

It was during this operation that Pfc George J Peters of the 507th was awarded the Medal of Honor. Pfc Peters and a group of 10 other troopers landed in an open field near the town of Fluren. Raked by enemy machine gun fire the troopers laid there helplessly. Peters, armed with only his rifle and a few grenades took it upon himself to charge the German machine gun nest. After receiving several wounds and bleeding profusely Peters crawled to within 15 feet of the gun emplacement and pitched two grenades into the enemy stronghold. The ensuing explosion silenced the machine gun and its crew.

Operation Varsity was a text book success. All of the units had performed in an amazing fashion shattering the German defenses in four and a half hours. In the ensuing days the 17th Airborne would lead the thrust into the heartland of Germany. On April 10th the 507th captured Essen, the home of the Krupps Steelworks.

On May 7, 1945, General Alfred Jodl signed the instrument of surrender in Rheims, France. The ceremony was repeated the next day in Berlin for the benefit of the Russians and President Truman declared May 8 as V-E Day. In September, 1945 the 17th Airborne Division was shipped home and deactivated.

This grouping belonged to a true American hero who is documented as jumping into Normady on D-Day and getting Wounded in Action, he then saw action in some of the most famous and gruesome battles in WW2 and was decorated accordingly. This is an ultra rare grouping that will not be repeated.


  • This product is available for international shipping.
  • Eligible for all payments - Visa, Mastercard, Discover, AMEX, Paypal & Sezzle


Cash For Collectibles