Original U.S. WWII M1 81mm Display Mortar
Original Item: The M1 81mm mortar was the largest weapon in the arsenal of the U.S. WWII infantry battalion. It provided the battalion commander with a powerful and flexible indirect fire capability. Sometimes called "infantry artillery," or "hip pocket artillery," mortars were capable of quickly laying down heavy barrages. These could stop enemy attacks under the worst conditions. Able to fire at high angles, mortars could fire at targets in defilade, either under direction of a forward observer, or firing off map coordinates. In the WW2 Pacific campaigns, these weapons became an important part of the battalion's firepower, especially since they could be man-packed into positions that were inaccessible to artillery.
We offer genuine M1 81mm non-functional BATF approved display mortars as used by U.S. forces in WWII (however these are postwar manufactured) each display is comprised of the following:
- Base Plate
- Adjustable Bipod
- Demilled Barrel Tube which has been saw cut from the original base cup
- A near perfect reproduction base cup welded in place
In addition the barrel has been fitted with two cross pins to prevent use. These weapons, are most unusual for the collectors market, and have been stored in European Government Arsenals until their recent release, original data plate long ago removed and optical sight is not included.
Weight: 136 pounds
Length of tube: 49.5 inches
Elevation: 40 to 80 degrees
Rate of fire (normal): 18 rpm
Rate of fire(maximum): 30 to 35 rpm
Range: 100 to 3,290 yards
- This product is not available for international shipping.
- This item is completely legal within the USA. International Military Antiques, Inc observes all Federal, State and Local laws. Everything for sale on ima-usa.com is completely legal to own, trade, transport and sell within the United States of America. Every display machinegun and machine gun parts set and gun sold by IMA, Inc is engineered to be inoperable according to guidelines provided by the US Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATF).
- Not eligible for payment with Paypal or Amazon