Original U.S. WWII M-1942 Canteen Cup
Original Item: All cups are offered in good serviceable condition with WW2 date and manufactures marks.
The metal U.S. WW2 canteen cup was developed as part of the original M1910 canteen set consisting of the canteen itself, cup, and cloth cover. While the handle design of the cup has changed, little else is different in 2010, after a century of service.
Measures Approximately 5.5" x 4 x 3
The M1910 Canteen Cup was part of the set of components that made up the M1910 aluminum one-quart canteen ensemble. The canteen cup has the same cross-section shape as the canteen body, but is a little larger so the canteen can nest into the cup. The canteen cup capacity is about three cups (24 oz.) if completely full. The cup also featured a foldable handle, held in place by four rivets on the side, secured by a sliding latch. The handle had two slots cut in it which could be engaged by an M-1926 Fork if the cup handle itself was too hot. The 1910 model cup could be conveniently stowed in the canteen carrier and the canteen would fit inside the cup.
The M-1910 aluminum cup had a rolled edge on top, a problem since it got too hot. The original cups were manufactured by The Aluminum Goods Manufacturing Company (A.G.M. Co.) in 1909 and 1910 and subsequently, from 1911 to 1917, by Rock Island Arsenal. All of these cups are unmarked.
During World War I, the Quartermaster Corps assumed responsibility for the soldiers' individual equipment including canteen cups. M1910 canteen cups were manufactured under contract using the specifications developed in 1910.
The 1918 contracts specified that the letters U.S., the name or symbol of the company and the year of manufacture be stamped either on the bottom of the cup or on the top of the handle.
Beginning in 1942, canteen cups were manufactured from alternate materials to substitute for aluminum. Porcelain plated cups (Cup, Canteen M-1942) were made in limited quantities in 1942 only, to match the porcelain enamel canteen made at the same time. Steel cups, plated with tin or zinc, were manufactured in small quantities by Foley Mfg. Co. and Edward Katzinger Co. in 1943 to match the tin or zinc plated canteens made that same year.
To match the corrosive resistant steel canteens (CRS aka stainless steel) in production during WW II, cups were made of the same material from 1942 to 1945, with a flared cup lip instead of the rolled edge. The new lip design cooled rapidly and solved the heat problem with the rolled edge. In late 1942 aluminum was released by the War Production Board, and production of aluminum M-1910 canteen cups was resumed as well.
Some of the known manufactures of canteen cups during World War II include:
Aluminum Goods Manufacturing Co. (AGM Co)
Buckeye Aluminum Co. (BA Co.)
Fletcher Enameling Co. (F.E. Co.)
Landers, Frary & Clark (L F & C) REP Co.
Republic Stamping and Enameling Co. (R.S.E. Co.)
Southeastern Metals Co. (S.M.Co.)
The Aluminum Cooking Utensil Company (T.A.C.U. Co.)
United States Steel Corp. (U.S.S. Corp.)
- This product is available for international shipping.
- Eligible for all payments - Visa, Mastercard, Discover, AMEX, Paypal, Amazon & Sezzle