Original U.S. WWII Japanese Captued Navy Seabee Grouping
Original Items: One-of-a-kind set. This group was purchased directly from the family of a WWII Seabee and includes the following pieces.
- Hand painted Imperial Japanese WWII Good Luck Flag with multiple phrases some of which translate to "Serve Your Country with Bravery", "Sun Rising", "Be Heroic", with battle quotes, plus many names of friends and family. The flag measures approximately 38" x 28" inches. The hang side has one original tie. Flag is constructed of rayon, has leather reinforced hang side corners with ties and is in close to excellent condition. This is the real deal a genuine USGI "bring back"!
The Good Luck Flag, known as hinomaru yosegaki in the Japanese language, was a traditional gift for Japanese servicemen deployed during the military campaigns of the Empire of Japan, though most notably during World War II. The flag given to a soldier was a national flag signed by friends and family, often with short messages wishing the soldier victory, safety, and good luck.
The Japanese call their country's flag hinomaru, which translates literally to "sun-round", referencing the red circle on a white field. When the hinomaru was signed, the Japanese characters were usually written vertically, and radiated outward from the edge of the red circle. This practice is referenced in the second term, yosegaki, meaning "sideways-writing". The phrase hinomaru-yosegaki can be interpreted as "To write sideways around the red sun", describing the appearance of the signed flag. This particular
example completely unique is written in old KANJI the writing are mainly Japanese names of this soldier’s family and friends with quotes and phrases.
- Original Imperial Japanese WWII National Silk Flag which measures 36" x 22" has leather reinforced hang side corners with ties and is in close to excellent condition.
- 25 original wartime photos of the Philippines and Occupied Japan.
- Anglo-Japanese Conversation Manual.
- "Panama in Your Pocket" reference manual.
- Articles for the Government of the United States Navy 1930
- Fore & Aft Newspaper dated August 3rd, 1945
Overall a nice little set which included 2 fantastic wartime Japanese flags brought home as trophies of war by a U.S. Navy Seabee!
- This product is available for international shipping.
- Eligible for all payments - Visa, Mastercard, Discover, AMEX, Paypal & Sezzle