Item:
ONJR23BD09

In stock

Original U.S. WWII Artwork by Robert Fleischauer Who Was The Cartoonist for “Leatherneck Laffs” For Leatherneck Magazine - 4 Items

Regular price $1,195.00

Item Description

Original Items: Only One Lot of 4 Available. This is a wonderful group of items which feature the artwork by Master Sergeant Robert Fleischauer. Private First Class Robert F. Fleischauer, a rifleman with Company A, 1st Battalion, 24th Marines commanded by Captain Irving “Buck” Schechter, was a veteran of Saipan, where he had achieved notoriety when he took out a bunker by sending a Mark II fragmentation grenade through the gunport. The blast was followed by the sound of broken glass. PFC Fleischauer had found the island’s cache of Japanese sake and with one grenade completely destroyed it. Buck Schechter told him: “Fleischauer, if you stay in the Corps for 20 years, you’ll never see corporal.” Fleischauer was sporting his Mauiinked tattoo with the proud eagle, globe and anchor on his left forearm. The result of a night’s revelry with fellow comrades, Fleischauer noticed only later that the Corps’ motto tattooed in the riband was written “Semper Fidles.” An unknown Japanese soldier on Tinian got Fleischauer medically evacuated. But first, he did Fleischauer the favor, by bullet or with grenade, of taking a chunk of skin out of the misspelled tattoo. Fleischauer did stay in the Corps for more than 20 years and retired as a Master Sergeant.

During his time in the Marine Corps, Fleischauer became known for his artwork, more specifically, his humorous images and comics he would create related to the military. He would soon go on to become the artists for the comics known as “Leatherneck Laffs” in the widely popular Leatherneck Magazine.

The Quantico Leatherneck was started by off-duty US Marines, and in large part by the post printer, Sgt. Smith, in 1917. The link to Editor & Publisher for February 19, 1921, page 38 contains a passionate article giving the details of the beginnings of the Quantico Leatherneck. Included: Captain Jonas H Platt, a newspaper man in civilian life, 1st Lt. Angus A. Aull (sp?)at the officers' training school held an honorary position with the paper and is the author of the linked Editor & Publisher article.

In 1918, "Quantico" was dropped from the publication's name.

In 1920, with the formation of the Marine Corps Institute (MCI) by Commandant of the Marine Corps John A. Lejeune, Leatherneck became an official Marine Corps publication under the auspices of MCI, and was moved to Headquarters Marine Corps in Washington, D.C. In 1925, the format was changed from a newspaper to a magazine.

During World War II, many of the Marine Corps' combat correspondents were assigned to Leatherneck. In 1943, the Leatherneck Association was formed to govern the magazine, making it more autonomous and answerable only to the Commandant.

The magazine's name derives from the slang term "leatherneck" for a U.S. Marine, referring to the leather-lined collar or stock of the original Marine uniform.

Leatherneck was an official Marine Corps publication until 1972, staffed primarily by active-duty Marines. That year all active-duty positions were eliminated and the magazine returned to Quantico. In 1976, the Leatherneck Association merged with the Marine Corps Association (MCA). As of 2016, MCA continues to publish Leatherneck alongside another Marine Corps periodical, the Marine Corps Gazette.

The four images are all military in nature and appear to be done during WWII. They are in wonderful condition and measure approximately (3) 15 ⅛” x 11” and (1) that measures 13 ¼” x 11”. They are all marked on the front with R. FLEISCHAUER and BOB FLEISCHAUER. The backside of two of the images and fully marked with:

Cpl. ROBERT FLEISCHAUER USMC 459745
TECH 1 MCI DET MB
8TH & EYE STS SE
WASH 3 DC

You can tell he was always looking for a way to make a joke about something, especially calling it “Eighth & Eye”. Marine Barracks Washington, D.C., also known as "8th & I," is the oldest active post in the Marine Corps. It was founded by President Thomas Jefferson and Lt. Col. William Ward Burrows, the second commandant of the Marine Corps, in 1801.

Located on the corners of 8th & I Streets in southeast Washington, D.C., the Barracks supports both ceremonial and security missions in the nation's capital.

The Barracks is home to many nationally recognized units, including the Marine Corps Silent Drill Platoon, the Marine Drum and Bugle Corps, the Marine Band, the official Marine Corps Color Guard, and the Marine Corps Body Bearers. It is also the site of the Home of the Commandants, which, along with the Barracks, is a registered national historic landmark.

These are all wonderful images and in wonderful condition! It’s not everyday you come across items that contributed to the famous Leatherneck Magazine! Comes more than ready for display.

  • This product is available for international shipping.
  • Eligible for all payments - Visa, Mastercard, Discover, AMEX, Paypal, Amazon & Sezzle

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Cash For Collectibles