Original U.S. WWII Army Air Forces Escape and Evasion “Silk” Map Lot - 3 Items
Original Items: Only One Lot of 3 Available. Evasion charts or escape maps are maps made for service members, and intended to be used when caught behind enemy lines to assist in performing escape and evasion. Such documents were secreted to prisoners of war by various means to aid in escape attempts.
During World War II, these clandestine maps were used by many American, British, and allied servicemen to escape from behind enemy lines. Special material was used for this purpose, due to the need for a material that would be hardier than paper, and would not tear or dissolve in water.
Evasion charts produced for the US, UK, and NATO were printed on vinyl sheets in the 1960s. Modern evasion charts are made of Tyvek 'paper', which permit printing of minute detail while remaining waterproof and tear-resistant.
The Maps Featured In This Lot:
- Eastern Asia: The map measures 22 ½” x 24 ½” and is dated 1944. The scale is 1:1,000,000 and the map is in unused condition.
- Northeast China / Southeast China: The map measures 20 ½” x 26” and is dated 1944. The scale is 1:1,000,000 and the map is slightly used, minor stains and the edges are starting to fray, but is still serviceable.
- Western Pacific: The map measures 36” x 27 ½” and appears to be dated 1944. There is a rather large hole located in the center of the map.
All maps are in great condition, all legible and with clear colors and images. They do have fold marks in them from many years of storage, but nothing damaging besides the Western Pacific map. They all come more than ready to display.
- This product is available for international shipping.
- Eligible for all payments - Visa, Mastercard, Discover, AMEX, Paypal, Amazon & Sezzle