Original U.S. WWII Army Air Force USAAF Aviator Wing Set - Sterling Silver
Original Items: This is a wonderful set of four genuine WW2 sterling silver aviator wings for a Pilot, Navigator, Bombardier, and Aerial Gunner.
Nothing symbolizes a flying person more than his or her pair of wings, whether the wing be constructed from cloth, plastic or metal. A wing identifies a person as a individual trained in airmanship to a specific level of expertise, and is usually awarded to the trainee pilot on successful completion of their exams and first solo flight.
Most individuals awarded a pair of wings cherish them as they represent an accomplishment or milestone in the person's life. It's this human involvement and sense of accomplishment, encapsulating: adventure, excitement and romance that creates a portal into the golden years of aviation, that sparks an interest to collect aviation wings.
Aviator wings are symbolic of a specific job performed by an individual; the style of wing indicating which job. The US Army Airforce (USAAF or AAF) during the Second World War required wings to be produced for several standard aircrew functions: pilot, engineer, air gunner, navigator, bombardier and observer. Sub variants of these wings were also produced to be issued to: glider pilots, balloon pilots, liaison pilots, technical observers, flight nurses and flight surgeons.
This set is comprised of the following four wings:
Classic WW2 pilot’s wings with beautiful detail. These wings measure 2 across are marked STERLING on the reverse of the bomb. Pin back (pin back, roller close, complete).
Navigator wings were awarded upon completion of the aerial navigation course. The device in the centre of the wing is an ancient astronomical instrument called a armillary sphere. The wing designation was established 4 September, 1942. These wings measure 2 across and are marked VANGUARD, NY and STERLING on the reverse. (prong back style missing securing studs)
Awarded following completion of the rated course. The wing designation was established 4 September 1942. These wings measure 2 across are marked STERLING on the reverse of the bomb. Pin back (pin back, roller close, complete).
AERIAL GUNNER WING
Established 29 April 1943, this wing was awarded to individuals who had completed the 6 weeks aerial gunnery course. The center of the wing depicts a flying bullet with wings. These wings measure 2 across and are marked STERLING and MEYER INC NEW YORK (pin back, roller close, complete).
This product is available for international shipping.
Eligible for all payments - Visa, Mastercard, Discover, AMEX, Paypal, Amazon & Affirm