Original U.S. WWII 1943 McCord Named 4th Army Front Seam Fixed Bale M1 Helmet with Firestone Liner
Original Item: Only One Available. This is a very nice example of a genuine WWII Front-Seam Fixed Bale M1 Helmet made by McCord Radiator, fitted with a very nice liner by Firestone. The U.S. WWII M-1 helmet was only produced from 1941 to 1945. The first production batch resulted with over 323,510 M-1 helmets before the start of the American involvement in the war. This helmet is heat lot stamped 759A which indicates the approximate manufacture date of late 1943, not long after the U.S. entered WWII.
The Ordnance Department selected McCord Radiator and Manufacturing Company of Detroit Michigan to produce the steel M1 helmet bodies. These bodies were made from a single piece of Hadfield Manganese steel that was produced by the Carnegie-Illinois & Sharon Steel Corporations. Each completed raw M-1 helmet shell weighed 2.25 lbs each.
This very good condition M1 shell has correct earl war fixed chinstrap loops, called "bales," and a stainless steel rim with a front fully welded seam. These rims were both rust resistant and had "non-magnetic qualities" that reduced the chance of error readings when placed around certain sensitive equipment (such as a compass). In November 1944 the specification was changed to have the rim seam in the rear of the helmet. This helmet is a fine example and still retains all of its original WW2 parts and the shell has all original "corked" grain paint, with only light wear. There is also the usual wear on the stainless steel rim. It has the correct early war OD green #3 Chin strap with a cast brass buckle but is missing the buckle catch.
The side of the shell has a lovely painted unit insignia for the Fourth United States Army, which is a red diamond with a white shamrock in the center. The paint on the decal is retained at about 80% with minor wear and scratches. The inside of the shell has a name and service number painted in red. The soldier that this helmet belonged to appears to have been Dewey Bullard ASN: 18310328. Unfortunately we have not been able to locate a service record for Mr. Bullard, but that does not mean you won’t be able to! This is a fantastic research project.
The liner is the correct “high pressure” WWII issue and stamped with an F logo over 49 for the FIRESTONE TIRE & RUBBER COMPANY Manufactured in Akron, Ohio this “high pressure” manufactured M-1 helmet liner is identified by an embossed “F” in the crown. Firestone Tire and Rubber Company started M-1 helmet liner delivery to the US Army in September 1942. They produced approximately 7,500,000 M-1 helmet liners and discontinued production around August 17 1945 when the war ended.
This true US WWII M-1 helmet liner can be identified through the frontal eyelet hole. Other correct WWII features include OD Green #3 cotton herringbone twill (HBT) cloth suspension liner, with the webbing in good shape. This HBT suspension is held tightly within the M-1 helmet liner by rivets and a series of triangular "A" washers. The three upper suspension bands are joined together with the correct OD green string. This way the wearer could adjust the fit. The sweatband is still present, showing moderate use and staining. The leather liner chin strap is present and in solid condition.
A very nice genuine early WWII issue helmet, perfect for any collection! Ready for research and display!
It was organized as Fourth Army in the Organized Reserves in 1922 at New York City, NY. It was withdrawn from the Organized Reserves on 9 August 1932 and allotted to the Regular Army as an inactive unit. It was activated 1 October 1933 and headquartered at the Presidio of San Francisco, California. In January 1944, the Fourth Army moved its headquarters to Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio, Texas. It was redesignated Fourth United States Army on 1 January 1957.
The Fourth United States Army has no combat record. It remained in the Continental United States during World War II, largely responsible for the defense of the West Coast while training tactical units to operate efficiently in combat when allocated to the various battlefront field armies of the United States.
During the 1960s, the Fourth Army operated "Tigerland", an infantry training school at Louisiana's Fort Polk to prepare new recruits for infantry combat in Vietnam. In July 1971, the Fourth Army was disbanded and consolidated with the Fifth United States Army at Fort Sam Houston.
Between 1984 and 1992, Fort Sheridan served as the headquarters of the Fourth Army and U.S. Army Recruiting Command. During that time, Fort Sheridan was the headquarters for activities at 74 U.S. Army Reserve Centers located in northern Illinois, northwest Indiana, and the lower peninsula of Michigan. HQ Fourth US Army, was at "The Army's Biggest Little Post", Fort Sheridan.
The Fort was founded in 1887, named for Gen. Philip H. Sheridan, Civil War Union cavalry leader and commanding general of the Army, 1883–1888; It is located on 695 acres on the shore of Lake Michigan, 29 miles north of Chicago loop. The post serves as an Administrative and Logistics Center for Midwest military installations. It was also home of the Army Recruiting Command, US Military Entrance Processing Command, 425th Trans Bde (USAR), Army Readiness Grp., 4th Recruiting Bde and Recruiting Bn, Chicago. Lieutenant General (United States) James R. Hall, served as the last commanding general of Fort Sheridan. In December 1988, the BRAC Commission recommended closure of Fort Sheridan. The BRAC Commission also recommended relocation of the Headquarters, Fourth Army; and the Headquarters, United States Army Recruiting Command to Fort Benjamin Harrison, Indiana.
- This product is available for international shipping.
- Eligible for all payments - Visa, Mastercard, Discover, AMEX, Paypal, Amazon & Sezzle