Original U.S. WWI M1917 Trench Knife by L.F. & C dated 1917 with Scabbard by Jewell
Original Item: Only One Available. This excellent condition Model 1917 trench knife has a wood handle, triangular stiletto blade, and leather scabbard with standard GI Pistol belt hook attachment.
The top of the guard is is nicely marked:
Landers, Frary, and Clark (L.F. & C.) began in 1853 as Landers & Smith Manufacturing Company, and in 1862 became known as Landers, Frary & Clark. They were in New Britain, Connecticut, and made a number of house hold items, as well as items for the military. They closed their doors in 1965.
Notable features of this example:
• Triangular 9" black steel blade. Blade has more than 80% of original finish, with runner marks and some wear to the point.
• Very good condition wood grip. Has some wear and scratches, but a great color.
• Leather scabbard marked JEWELL - 1918 with steel throat marked: M.S. Scabbard is in solid condition with leather still painted and soft.
• Standard pistol belt brass attachment hook
The first official U.S. trench knife adopted for service issue was the U.S. M1917 trench knife designed by Henry Disston & Sons, and based on examples of trench knives then in service with the French Army. The M1917 featured a triangular stiletto blade, wooden grip, metal knuckle guard, and a rounded pommel. The M1917 proved unsatisfactory in service, and a slightly improved version, the M1918, was adopted within months. Despite this, the M1918 is almost identical to the M1917, differing primarily in the construction and appearance of the knuckle guard. Usable only as stabbing weapons, the M1917 and M1918 frequently suffered broken blades. Their limited utility and general unpopularity caused the AEF to empanel a testing board in 1918 to test various trench knives and select a replacement.
This product is not available for shipping in US state(s)
Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Washington
This product is not available for international shipping.
- Stored and shipped from our PA location; not available in Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Oregon, Utah, and Washington. Please check all local laws before ordering.
Eligible for all payments - Visa, Mastercard, Discover, AMEX, Paypal, Amazon & Affirm