Original U.S. WWI M1917 Trench Knife by American Cutlery Company with Scabbard by Jewell
Original Item: Only One Available. This nearly mint condition Model 1917 trench knife has a wood handle, triangular stiletto blade, and leather scabbard with standard GI Pistol belt hook attachment.
Inside the knuckle guard is is nicely marked:
• Triangular 9" black steel blade - VERY SHARP
• Steel guard marked: A.C. CO USA 1917
• Great condition wood grip.
• Leather scabbard marked JEWELL - 1918 with steel throat marked: M.S
• Standard pistol belt brass attachment hook
The first official U.S. trench knife adopted for service issue was the U.S. M1917 trench knife designed by Henry Disston & Sons, and based on examples of trench knives then in service with the French Army. The M1917 featured a triangular stiletto blade, wooden grip, metal knuckle guard, and a rounded pommel. The M1917 proved unsatisfactory in service, and a slightly improved version, the M1918, was adopted within months. Despite this, the M1918 is almost identical to the M1917, differing primarily in the construction and appearance of the knuckle guard. Usable only as stabbing weapons, the M1917 and M1918 frequently suffered broken blades. Their limited utility and general unpopularity caused the AEF to empanel a testing board in 1918 to test various trench knives and select a replacement.
This product is not available for shipping in US state(s)
Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Washington
This product is not available for international shipping.
- Stored and shipped from our PA location; not available in Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Oregon, Utah, and Washington. Please check all local laws before ordering.
- Eligible for all payments - Visa, Mastercard, Discover, AMEX, Paypal, Amazon & Sezzle