Original U.S. WWI M1917 Trench Knife by American Cutlery Co with 1918 dated Jewell Scabbard
Original Item: Only One Available. This is a very nice condition Model 1917 trench knife, with hardwood handle, triangular stiletto blade, and leather scabbard with standard GI pistol belt hook attachment.
Inside the knuckle guard is is nicely marked:
A.C. CO USA 1917
This indicates 1917 manufacture by American Cutlery Corporation, of Chicago Illinois. This company, established in 1865, manufactured a multitude of edged weapons, as well as other products.
- Triangular 8 1/2" black steel blade.
- Steel guard marked: A.C. CO USA 1917
- Excellent condition wood grip, personalized with "U.S. NAVY"
- Leather scabbard marked JEWELL - 1918
- Standard pistol belt brass attachment hook
This example is in good condition, though the blade has been altered significantly from the issued configuration. It looks like the tip may have broken off at one point, of the edges were marred, so it was ground down at arsenal, and is now only 8 1/2 inches long. This has made it much lighter, but also likely more fragile.
A very nice example that would make a perfect addition to any Great War or edged weapons collection.
The first official U.S. trench knife adopted for service issue was the U.S. M1917 trench knife designed by Henry Disston & Sons, and based on examples of trench knives then in service with the French Army. The M1917 featured a triangular stiletto blade, wooden grip, metal knuckle guard, and a rounded pommel. The M1917 proved unsatisfactory in service, and a slightly improved version, the M1918, was adopted within months. Despite this, the M1918 is almost identical to the M1917, differing primarily in the construction and appearance of the knuckle guard. Usable only as stabbing weapons, the M1917 and M1918 frequently suffered broken blades. Their limited utility and general unpopularity caused the AEF to empanel a testing board in 1918 to test various trench knives and select a replacement.
This product is not available for shipping in US state(s)
Alaska, Arkansas, California, District of Columbia, Illinois, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Vermont, Washington
This product is not available for international shipping.
- Prohibitted and therefore not available for shipment to the following states: Alaska, Arkansas, California, District of Columbia, Illinois, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Vermont, and Washington. Please check all local laws and restrictions before ordering.
- Not eligible for payment with Paypal or Amazon