Original U.S. Civil War Confederate 1861 Dated South Carolina Artillery Wooden Drum Canteen
The circumference of the body of the canteen is comprised of multiple tight fitting sections of wood, held firmly to the sides by two sapling bands. The bands are approximately 1" wide and held in place by iron nails. Both large wood sling guides are still present. The spout is missing, which is common with these canteens.
The front of the canteen has an old carvings which appear to be the same age as the canteen itself, The carving is of a large Palmetto tree with the following:
The 1st Regiment, South Carolina Artillery first organized as the 1st Battalion, South Carolina Artillery in the early part of 1861. On May 24, 1861 the Battalion mustered into Confederate service with 5 companies. Two more companies were added by the end of the year and in February 1862, two more companies. The 1st Battalion Artillery was then reorganized as the 1st Regiment, South Carolina Artillery on March 25, 1862. It was also known as the 1st Regiment Heavy Artillery. This unit was converted to infantry in February 1865. Many of the officers and soldiers were from the Charleston area. The regiment surrendered on April 26, 1865 at Durham Station, North Carolina with the Army of Tennessee.
Company A - (also known as Calhoun's Battery; Sumter Light Artillery, Sumter Battery, Preston's Battery, Blake's Battery and other name variations of these) - many men from Richland District (County), Anderson District (County), Laurens District (County), Union District (County), Kershaw District (County); a few men from Charleston District (County), Abbeville District (County), and Spartanburg District (County).
The canteen has aged and shrunk as expected and is in overall very good condition, it displays beautifully.
- This product is available for international shipping.
- Not eligible for payment with Paypal or Amazon