Item:
ONSV4075

Original U.S. Civil War Battlefield Pickup Starr Arms M1858 Revolver from Franklin Tennessee Earthworks

Item Description

Original Item: One of a Kind. We are told this was found in 1878 in the Earthworks from the site of the Battle of Franklin in Tennessee. This would mean it lay exposed to the elements for about 13-14 years. It has come from the 200 gun collection IMA recently secured from storage.

This BATTLEFIELD PICK-UP is in dreadful condition but its really not that bad, all things considered. It looks like the wood grip has been replaced or at least very much reworked. The ironwork is all stained and pitted and part of the cylinder has been welded, apparently in an aborted attempt to convert it to use cartridges? Definitely a bit of "basement gunsmithing" was done.

The action works but there is a large cross bolt absent, which has be temporarily replaced by a modern bolt to hold it all together. Not supporting paperwork regarding this item, only getting a passing mention with the 1900's notes about the collection.

If you fall in love with the story this could ring your bell! Ready to display!

More on the Starr Percussion Revolver:

Generally there are three models of Starr revolvers:

1863 Single Action .44 Caliber Percussion Army Revolver (produced 1863-1864) [23000 produced]

1858 Double Action .36 Caliber Percussion Navy Revolver (produced 1859-1860) [3000 produced]

1858 Double Action .44 Caliber Percussion Army Revolver (produced 1862-1863) [~21454 produced]

History of the STARR ARMS COMPANY Revolver-

About 23,000 double-action Starr revolvers were manufactured in the late 1850s and early 1860s. Of these, most were purchased by the U.S. Army. Starr revolvers, in both single-and double-action models, represented over 12 percent of the side arms issued to Union cavalry troops. Only Colt and Remington revolvers were more frequently encountered in the hands of Northern soldiers.

Starr revolvers were invented by Eben Townsend Starr of New York City, grandson of Nathan Starr and son of Nathan Starr, Jr., famous U. S. swordmakers and riflemakers of Middletown, Connecticut. This model is marked on the right side of its frame "STARR'S PATENT JAN. 15, 1856.", and on the left side, "STARR. ARMS. Co. NEW YORK." The patent date refers to E. T. Starr's U. S. Patent 14,118 for a self-cocking percussion pepperbox. His U.S. Patent 30,843, December 4, 1860, was for his double-action revolver.

Starr firearms were made at Yonkers, Binghamton, and Morrisania, New York, from 1858 to 1867. The New York City address referred to the Starr Arms Company store and office at 267 Broadway. Starr double-action .44 caliber revolvers, with serial numbers from 1 to about 23,000, were manufactured first, and Starr single-action .44 caliber revolvers, with serial numbers from about 23,000 to about 54,000, last.

Specifications: 

Year of Manufacture: circa 1862
Caliber: .44cal
Ammunition Type: Cap and Ball
Barrel Length: 8 inches
Overall Length: 14 inches
Action: Double/Single Action
Feed System: 6 Shot Revolver

NOTE: International orders of antique firearms MUST be shipped using UPS WW Services (courier). USPS Priority Mail international will not accept thes

  • This product is not available for shipping in US state(s): New Jersey

    This product is available for international shipping.
  • Not eligible for payment with Paypal or Amazon

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Cash For Collectibles