Original U.S. 5th Maryland Regiment Shako - Circa 1895 - The Dandy Fifth
Original Item: Only One Available. There have actually been three different 5th Maryland Infantry regiments. The first existed from about 1775 to 1861, when it disbanded and entered confederate service. The second was a Union regiment from the western part of the state, composed almost entirely of German immigrants, which existed only during the Civil War until 1865. The third, to which this shako belonged, was organized in 1867 (hence the date on the front plate) from Confederate veterans and existed until the beginning of WW2 when it was re-designated 175th U.S. Infantry.
As worn by the 5th Maryland National Guard during the later 19th century. The hat is constructed of fiber material with black felt covered exterior, a patent leather visor with a brass visor rim. Features leather trim and top with an original felt plume. Black leather chin strap around the back, brass scale chinstrap to front. Large brass helmet plate with the 175th Infantry logo DECUS ET PRAESIDIUM, the number 5, over the date of organization which was 1867. The leather liner with cloth extension is present but missing the cinching string in the top. Over all very good, showing minor areas of age and use.
Overall a wonderful example of a turn of the 5th Maryland National Guard Shako with ties to its Civil War Confederacy Heritage.
The 5th Maryland Regiment is a designation which has been held by several units over the years, not all of which necessarily share the same lineage and honors. Although the first unit to carry the "5th Maryland" designation was organized in 1776 from volunteers in rural Maryland, the designation has been most often associated with militia units in Baltimore. The "5th Maryland" designation is the officially recognized traditional designation of the 175th Infantry Regiment, Maryland Army National Guard. This entry refers to the rural 5th Maryland, whose lineage is separate and distinct from the Baltimore 5th Maryland perpetuated by the 175th Infantry Regiment.
The first 5th Maryland Regiment was organized on March 27, 1776 composing of eight companies of volunteers from the counties of Queen Anne's, Kent, Caroline, and Dorchester of the colony of Maryland and was authorized on September 16, 1776 for service with the Continental Army.
It was assigned to the main Continental Army on December 27, 1776. On May 22, 1777, it was assigned to the 1st Maryland Brigade and re-organized on May 12, 1779 to nine companies. It was reassigned to the Southern Department on April 5, 1780. The regiment was reassigned from the 1st Maryland Brigade to the Maryland Brigade on January 1, 1781. The regiment would see action during the Battle of Long Island (1776), the Battle of Brandywine (1777), the Battle of Germantown (1777), the Battle of Monmouth (1778), the Battle of Camden (1780), and the Battle of Guilford Court House (1781). The regiment was furloughed January 1, 1782, at Round O, South Carolina and disbanded on January 1, 1783.
Difference From the Modern Fifth Regiment
Another 5th Maryland, nicknamed "The Dandy Fifth," was formed in 1867. The lineage of this unit is carried on today by the Maryland Army National Guard's 175th Infantry Regiment. This 5th Maryland also traces its lineage back to the American Revolutionary War, but ironically, its lineage does not include the Revolutionary War 5th Regiment. Instead, it traces its ancestry to militia raised in Baltimore, and its battle honors differ from those of the Revolutionary 5th Regiment. The 175th Infantry's lineage and honors does include the 5th Maryland Regiment of the War of 1812 and 1st Maryland Infantry, CSA of the American Civil War.
This product is available for international shipping.
Eligible for all payments - Visa, Mastercard, Discover, AMEX, Paypal, Amazon & Affirm