In stock

Original Soviet DShK 12.7mm Anti-Aircraft Quadrant Sight - U.S. Invasion of Grenada Captured Operation Urgent Fury

Regular price $595.00

Sale price

Compare at $895.00

Item Description

Original Item: Only One Available. The United States invasion of Grenada began at dawn on 25 October 1983. The United States and a coalition of six Caribbean nations invaded the island nation of Grenada, 100 miles (160 km) north of Venezuela. Codenamed Operation Urgent Fury by the U.S. military, it resulted in military occupation within a few days. It was triggered by the strife within the People's Revolutionary Government which resulted in the house arrest and execution of the previous leader and second Prime Minister of Grenada Maurice Bishop, and the establishment of the Revolutionary Military Council with Hudson Austin as Chairman. The invasion resulted in the appointment of an interim government, followed by elections in 1984.

This quadrant was liberated from a destroyed DShK position by a Lieutenant Colonel Billy Stephen. Due to his name, we have not been able to locate service information on him, making this a wonderful research opportunity.

The condition of the sight appears as if any object would after being destroyed. There are no markings that can be found on it. Most of the paint has been retained with minor surface rust over the exposed metal. The rear sight is bent and warped and appears to have been struck by debris during the neutralization process while it was firing at American aircraft. The sight approximate measurements are approximately 15” x 11” with a base of 6 ½” x 3 ½”.

This is definitely an interesting piece from a forgotten conflict. Comes more than ready to be researched and displayed.

First day of the invasion
H-hour for the invasion was set for 05:00 on 25 October 1983. U.S. troops deployed to Grenada by helicopter from Grantley Adams International Airport on Barbados before daybreak. Nearly simultaneously, American paratroopers arrived directly by transport aircraft from bases in the eastern United States and U.S. Marines were airlifted to the island from the USS Guam offshore. It was the first major operation conducted by the American military since the Vietnam War. Vice Admiral Joseph Metcalf III, Commander of the Second Fleet, was the overall commander of American forces, designated Joint Task Force 120, which included elements of each military service and multiple special operations units. Fighting continued for several days and the total number of American troops reached some 7,000 along with 300 troops from the Organization of American States, commanded by Brigadier Rudyard Lewis of Barbados.

The main objectives on the first day were for the 75th Ranger Regiment to capture the Point Salines International Airport in order for the 82nd Airborne Division to land reinforcements on the island; the 2nd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment to capture Pearls Airport; and other forces to rescue the American students at the True Blue Campus of St. George's University. In addition, a number of special operations missions were undertaken by Army Delta Force operatives and Navy SEALs to obtain intelligence and secure key individuals and equipment. Many of these missions were plagued by inadequate intelligence, planning, and accurate maps of any kind, and the American forces mostly relied upon tourist maps.

  • This product is not available for international shipping.
  • Not eligible for payment with Paypal or Amazon


Cash For Collectibles