Original Pre-WWII U.S. Navy Gun 3 Inch / 50 Caliber Dual Purpose Naval Gun Drill Round Dated 1921
Original Item: Only One Available. This is a fantastic practice round that the USN used to drill with that fired a small rifle cartridge in the steel barrel that was in the brass casting. The rifle cartridge was much cheaper than firing a full size round. If you look at it closely it has a steel barrel inserted through the length of the shell. It most likely fired a 30-40 Krag cartridge. This drill round was designed for the U.S. Navy 3 in. / 50 calibers Dual Purpose Rifled QF Naval gun. It is completely inert, and cannot be converted to any type of explosive device. The shell weighs 20.2 lbs (9.2kg) and measures 30 inches in overall length.
The round is in very good condition. The shell itself does not have any markings we can see, but the bottom of the shell casing has the usual manufacturing information:
CARTRIDGE FOR 3 IN. 15 PDR. GUN. 1921
This is an excellent piece of PRE World War II artillery and naval memorabilia which will make a very impressive display!
The 3″/50 caliber gun (spoken "three-inch fifty-caliber") in United States naval gun terminology indicates the gun fired a projectile 3 inches (76 mm) in diameter, and the barrel was 50 calibers long (barrel length is 3 in × 50 = 150 in or 3.8 m). Different guns (identified by Mark numbers) of this caliber were used by the U.S. Navy and U.S. Coast Guard from 1890 through the 1990s on a variety of combatant and transport ship classes.
Dual-purpose 3″/50 caliber guns (Marks 10, 17, 18, and 20) first entered service in 1915 as a refit to USS Texas (BB-35), and were subsequently mounted on many types of ships as the need for anti-aircraft protection was recognized. During World War II, they were the primary gun armament on destroyer escorts, patrol frigates, submarine chasers, minesweepers, some fleet submarines, and other auxiliary vessels, and were used as a secondary dual-purpose battery on some other types of ships, including some older battleships. They also replaced the original low-angle 4"/50 caliber guns (Mark 9) on "flush-deck" Wickes and Clemson-class destroyers to provide better anti-aircraft protection. The gun was also used on specialist destroyer conversions; the "AVD" seaplane tender conversions received two guns; the "APD" high-speed transports, "DM" minelayers, and "DMS" minesweeper conversions received three guns, and those retaining destroyer classification received six.
These dual-purpose guns were "quick-firing", meaning that they used fixed ammunition, with powder case and projectile permanently attached, and handled as a single unit weighing 34 pounds (as opposed to older guns and/or heavier guns, in which the shell and powder are handled and loaded separately, which reduces the weight of each handled component, but slows the loading process). The shells alone weighed about 13 pounds including an explosive bursting charge of 0.81 pounds for anti-aircraft (AA) rounds or 1.27 pounds for High Capacity (HC) rounds, the remainder of the weight being the steel casing. Maximum range was 14,600 yards at 45 degrees elevation and ceiling was 29,800 feet (9,100 m) at 85 degrees elevation. Useful life expectancy was 4300 effective full charges (EFC) per barrel.
- This product is not available for international shipping.
- Not eligible for payment with Paypal or Amazon