Original Japanese Child's Katana Samurai Sword by IETSUGU with Scabbard - Ancient Handmade Blade
Original Item: Only One Available. Purchased directly from a European collector, this is a Child size Japanese Katana sword. We measured the various dimensions of the sword, and it is definitely a scaled down Katana, and not a kodachi or wakizashi. We surmise that it was made for a child, and the build quality is excellent, so this is not just a display piece.
The blade is old, we are told ancient, due to a few tell tale characteristics that include:
- Tang bears a two character mei, reading 家 次 - IETSUGU. There are multiple smiths using this name that we can find, and all are from the Muromachi Period or earlier. This means the sword classifies as Kotō (古刀"old swords"" from around 900–1596.
- The hole in the tang (meguki-ana) is punched, and not drilled.
- Folded steel blade - fold lines are evident on the body and spine of blade, as well as grain typical of folded steel.
- Visible temper line ("hamon") running full length of blade cutting edge
Offered in near excellent condition with only a few minor specks of discoloration, it is still sharp. Blade does bear some nicks on the cutting edge. Blade length is approximately 13 and overall length 21.
Squared-off engraved tsuba (cross guard) with gold highlighted menuki (grip decoration), and a nice folded metal engraved Kashira (End Cap), one bamboo securing peg still present. Multiple decorative seppa (spacers) are present. Excellent stingray Sa-Me (grip) with complete Ito (cloth binding). The Scabbard (saya) is wood and in very nice condition, with a beautiful aged lacquer finish.
It has been over one thousand years ago that the art of making swords appeared in Japan. The swordsmiths of the time may not have known it but they were creating a legendary sword. The Samurai sword has seen combat in many battlefields. From the early days of the Samurai warrior to the fierce battles in the South Pacific during WWII.
Each hand-made Samurai sword is unique because it is forged from steel stock. A tremendous amount of work is dedicated to creating these pieces. They were an instrument of war as much as a beautiful artifact to adorn a room.
The Samurai sword has grown to be one of the most highly desired military antiques.
- This product is available for international shipping.
- Eligible for all payments - Visa, Mastercard, Discover, AMEX, Paypal, Amazon & Sezzle