Original Imperial Russian Mosin-Nagant M1891 Three-Line Infantry Rifle by Tula serial 229630 with Bayonet & Sling - dated 1895
Original Item: Only One Available. These are so very rare, and this is only the third example that we have had in decades. A real pre-1899 Antique Russian Mosin-Nagant M1891 Full Length Rifle, more officially referred to as the "Three Line Infantry Rifle, Model of 1891." This example was never converted to the 91/30 standard, and is still in the original full length. It does have the stock cross bolt for use with the heavier "Spitzer" bullets used, and has the sling slots in place of swivels. It also comes complete with an original M/91 bayonet, and a WWII type canvas and leather sling.
The rifle has lots of issue markings, and is marked with serial number 229630 over the chamber. The bolt is non-matching, and there is also an SA inside a rectangle on the side of the barrel, for Suomi Armeija (Finnish Army). However, the Finnish did not convert this example to their M/91 standard, and is still in the original configuration.
The Russian "Mosin-Nagant" bolt-action rifle is arguably the most-produced rifle in history, with around 37 million being produced in various versions in several different countries. This number easily surpasses the Lee-Enfield, Mauser GEW98 and Mauser K98K in number produced. The reasons for this are multiple, including both the size of Russia and later USSR, as well as the long service life of this design, which is still in use today in some locations.
The history of what is known as the "Mosin-Nagant" rifle begins in the late 19th century in Russia, following the Russo-Ottoman war. During the course of the war, it became apparent that Russian troops needed a modern bolt-action rifle to compete with the rest of the world, so they started evaluations in 1889 on what would become the general issue rifle for infantry troops. Three designs were submitted, and at the time in Russia bullet diameter was measured in "line"s, where one line was 1/10 of an inch. This is what gave rise to the official name of the rifle, the "3-line rifle, Model 1891", as it was in .30cal, or 7.62mm. The name "Mosin-Nagant" is in reality somewhat of a misnomer, as the design chosen was designed by Mosin, not Nagant. However due to legal issues with Nagant over certain design aspects of the rifle, his name was attached to the design as well, leading to the name used in most of the world, the "Mosin-Nagant Model 1891". Three other models would subsequently be put into service prior to WWI: the M1891 Dragoon, the M1891 Cossack, and the M1907 Carbine.
The official designation of this model is 3-линии пехотная винтовка образца 1891–го года which translates to "Three Line Infantry Rifle, Model of 1891". It has the cross bolt to reinforce the stock against recoil, and the flip up rear sight correctly goes up to 3200 арши́ны (arshíny) an archaic measurement used by Russia through the first world war. Roughly equal to 71.12 cm, the ranges on the left side of the sight base have been crossed out, and new measurements in meters added in hundreds of meters (12 x 100 arshíny = 8 1/2 x 100m) on the right side.
The receiver displays an Imperial Russian Double Headed Eagle just below the rear sight on the base of the barrel. The full markings on the barrel are:
These markings indicate original manufacture in 1898 at the "Imperial Tula Arms Factory", one of the most prominent in Russia. Reconstructed in the 19th century Tula Arms Factory became one of the most prominent arms factories in Europe. In 1879 the plant started production of the famous Berdan rifle with an improved bolt. Workshop was organized by a model where created their own models of small arms and hunting weapons. Increased production of various products: single- and double-barrel muzzle-loading shotguns, breech-loading center-fire rifles. Designer Sergei Ivanovich Mosin took part in devising damascus steel technology used in production of barrels. He also designed a bolt-action rifle which was put to testing along with a rifle developed by Émile Nagant. In 1891, as a result of complex tests Mosin's entry was chosen over the Belgian design and it was adopted by the Imperial Russian Army as the three-line rifle of 1891.
The magazine housing is also marked with the "Arrow" proof of Izhevsk Arsenal, while the nose cap is marked with the "Bow and Arrow" proof of Izhevsk Arsenal, both Czarist markings which were discontinued following the Russian revolution and subsequent civil war. It was very common for rifles in service for a long time to have parts swapped out like this.
Condition of the rifle is very good, especially considering the age and amount of service it must have seen. The stock is in good condition, with the expected dents, dings, and other damage from long service. It has been refinished, probably several times, and currently has a lovely dark brown color to it. The metalwork is in good shape, with much of the original bluing present on the barrel and receiver, with the bolt still mostly bright steel. It still retains the original cleaning rod, which is in good shape, still threading properly into the stock. The rifle cycles well, with a crisp dry fire.
The bore is in very good condition, showing clear lands and grooves with a mostly bright finish. There is just a bit of light oxidation and fouling in the grooves. There is only a little bit of rounding to the grooves, so it did not see extensive firing while in service.
The rifle comes complete with an original early pattern M/91 Socket bayonet, marked with the "Arrow" proof of Tula Arsenal. It is in very good condition, with a lovely aged patina and scattered rust peppering. Also included is an original WWII Era sling, made from heavy canvas with leather fittings. There is a stamp on the inside of the sling, however we are not able to make out what it says.
A wonderful piece of Russian and Firearms history, much as it was reissued for service during WWII! Ready to display!
Year of Manufacture: 1895
Caliber: 7.62×54mmR Russian
Cartridge Type: Centerfire Cartridge
Barrel Length: 31 1/2 Inches
Overall Length: 51 1/2 Inches
Action type: Bolt Action
Feed System: 5 Round Internal
Blade Length: 17"
Blade Style: Cruciform with Flathead Tip
Overall length: 20“
This product is not available for shipping in US state(s)
This product is not available for international shipping.
IMA considers all of our antique guns as non-firing, inoperable and/or inert. Title 18, U.S. Code, Section 921(a)(16) defines antique firearms as all guns made prior to 1899. This law exempts antique firearms from any form of gun control or special engineering because they are not legally considered firearms. No FFL, C&R or any license is required to possess, transport, sell or trade Antique guns. All rifles and muskets sold by IMA that were manufactured prior to 1899 are considered Antiques by the US BATF (United States Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms). Therefore, all of IMA's Antique guns may be shipped to most US States and most U.S. territories.
These antique guns are not sold in "live" condition, and are not tested for the the ability to feed or load any type of cartridge. They are sold as collector's items or as "wall hangers" not for use, and we make no guarantees regarding functionality aside from what is stated in the description. Any attempt at restoring an antique gun to be operational is strongly discouraged and is done so at the risk of the customer. By purchasing an antique gun from IMA you thereby release IMA, its employees and corporate officers from any and all liability associated with use of our Antique guns.
Pre-1899 Manufacture, no licenses required, allowed to ship to most addresses within the United States.
- Not eligible for payment with Paypal or Amazon