Original Imperial Russian 1910 Maxim Gun Steel Sokolov Wheeled Mount - Dated 1911
Original Item: Only One Available. In 1996 we contracted with the Government of Finland to buy a quantity of Russian M-1910 Maxim Machine Guns. Each came on a wheeled SOKOLOV mount. These guns had been captured by the Finns from the Soviets in their thwarted invasion attempt now known as "The Winter War of 1939-1940"
Over the past 18 years we have sold off most all of the guns as parts sets or non-firing display machine guns both with and without wheeled mounts. The result is that we have a few extra mounts remaining. Amongst these we have discovered some very early mounts of which this one is one of the oldest we have ever seen.
The circular crosshead is dated 1911г., in large numbers on the right side, where the "г" stands for года (goda), the Russian word for year. The saddle and crosshead were most likely mated together with somewhat later parts to make this mount, however it still comes with the following distinctive early features:
1) First model wheels with reinforcing splines around the hubs, later removed as redundant.
2) The mount still retains a fully machined and drilled inlet for a "SPIRIT LEVEL" to help aim the mount. The level itself has unfortunately been removed, but only the earliest mounts were originally equipped with these.
3) The "saddle" on which the turntable sits is all steel and has the 1st model cutouts on both sides. There are also holes on the left side, which were used to attach range pins, a functionality removed from later versions.
4) Rear of the saddle base has a numbered azimuth for traverse adjustments, and there are also "gears" on the under side of the saddle base, which we only see on the very early versions.
An exceptional mount direct from a government source which IMA purchased in 1996. This mount is compatible with the Russian / Soviet M 1905, M 1905/1910, and M 1910 Maxim guns.
- This product is not available for international shipping.
- Not eligible for payment with Paypal or Amazon