Original German WWII U-Boat U-1010 Signal Lamp by bmh
Original Item: Only One Available. Signal lamps, also called Aldis lamps, were visual communication equipment used extensively in World War Two by both sides during the battle of the Atlantic. This example is German manufactured and was reportedly taken directly from U-Boat U-1010 after it surrendered on 14 May 1945 at Loch Eriboll, Scotland by Gilbert Hocquard who was in the Royal Navy Reserves at the time.
Signallers sent messages in Morse code by sighting the target through the eyepiece (upper left) and turning the light on and off, either with a trigger or by opening and closing shutters over the lens. Unlike radio transmissions, visual signals could not be detected at long ranges. They were a preferred method of communication because they reduced the risk of disclosing a vessel's location.
This example is marked:
Offered in very good condition, we do not know if it is operational.
Another example can be found in the permanent collection of the Canadian War Museum and be seen at this link.
She was ordered on 23 March 1942, and was laid down on 24 February 1943, at Blohm & Voss, Hamburg, as yard number 210. She was launched on 5 January 1944, and commissioned under the command of Oberleutnant zur See Otto Bitter on 10 February 1944.
German Type VIIC/41 submarines were preceded by the heavier Type VIIC submarines. U-1010 had a displacement of 769 tonnes (757 long tons) when at the surface and 871 tonnes (857 long tons) while submerged. She had a total length of 67.10 m (220 ft 2 in), a pressure hull length of 50.50 m (165 ft 8 in), an overall beam of 6.20 m (20 ft 4 in), a height of 9.60 m (31 ft 6 in), and a draught of 4.74 m (15 ft 7 in). The submarine was powered by two Germaniawerft F46 four-stroke, six-cylinder supercharged diesel engines producing a total of 2,800 to 3,200 metric horsepower (2,060 to 2,350 kW; 2,760 to 3,160 shp) for use while surfaced, two BBC GG UB 720/8 double-acting electric motors producing a total of 750 metric horsepower (550 kW; 740 shp) for use while submerged. She had two shafts and two 1.23 m (4 ft) propellers. The boat was capable of operating at depths of up to 230 metres (750 ft).
The submarine had a maximum surface speed of 17.7 knots (32.8 km/h; 20.4 mph) and a maximum submerged speed of 7.6 knots (14.1 km/h; 8.7 mph). When submerged, the boat could operate for 80 nautical miles (150 km; 92 mi) at 4 knots (7.4 km/h; 4.6 mph); when surfaced, she could travel 8,500 nautical miles (15,700 km; 9,800 mi) at 10 knots (19 km/h; 12 mph). U-1010 was fitted with five 53.3 cm (21 in) torpedo tubes (four fitted at the bow and one at the stern), fourteen torpedoes or 26 TMA or TMB Naval mines, one 8.8 cm (3.46 in) SK C/35 naval gun, (220 rounds), one 3.7 cm (1.5 in) Flak M42 and two 2 cm (0.79 in) C/30 anti-aircraft guns. The boat had a complement of between forty-four and fifty-two.
U-1010 participated in one war patrol which resulted in no ships damaged or sunk.
U-1010 had a Schnorchel underwater-breathing apparatus fitted out sometime before April 1945.
On 14 May 1945, U-1010 surrendered at Loch Eriboll, Scotland and was later transferred to Lisahally. Of the 156 U-boats that eventually surrendered to the Allied forces at the end of the war, U-1010 was one of 116 selected to take part in Operation Deadlight. U-1010 was towed out and sank on 7 January 1946, by naval gunfire from the Polish destroyer Garland.
The wreck now lies at 55°37′N 07°49′WCoordinates: 55°37′N 07°49′W.
- This product is available for international shipping.
- Eligible for all payments - Visa, Mastercard, Discover, AMEX, Paypal, Amazon & Sezzle