Item:
ONJR24APCB006

Original German WWII Tropical Tan Wehrmacht 20 Liter Petrol Jerry Can by Enzesfelder Metallwerk AG Wien - Dated 1943

Item Description

Original Item: Only One Available. A jerrycan is a robust liquid container made from pressed steel. It was designed in Germany in the 1930s for military use to hold 20 liters (4.4 imp gal; 5.3 US gal) of fuel, and saw widespread use by both Germany and the Allies during the Second World War.

The name of the jerrycan refers to its German origins, Jerry being slang for Germans. The design was reverse engineered and subsequently copied, with minor modifications, by the Allies during the war.

The Wehrmacht-Einheitskanister, as it was known in Germany, was first developed in 1937 by the Müller engineering firm in Schwelm to a design by their chief engineer Vinzenz Grünvogel. A similar design was used in 1936 during the Spanish Civil War, where they had a company logo for Ambi-Budd Presswerk GmbH. Among others, the Wehrmacht had specified that a soldier should be able to carry either two full containers or four empty ones, which is the reason the triple handles were fitted. To achieve the required filling and draining speed, it was fitted with a large spout and flip top closure. A hole in the closure retainer made it possible to fit a securing pin or wire with a lead seal. The rectangular shape made it stackable. The recessed welded seam stiffened the container and protected the seam from impact damage. The indentations ensured a full can would not be severely damaged when falling from a vehicle, while a dip coat of paint on the inside protected it from corrosion.

By 1939 the German military had thousands of such cans stockpiled in anticipation of war. Motorized troops were issued the cans with lengths of rubber hose in order to siphon fuel from any available source, a way to aid their rapid advance through Poland at the start of the Second World War.

In 1939, American engineer Paul Pleiss had built a vehicle to journey to India with his German colleague. After building the car, they realized they did not have any storage for emergency water. The German engineer had access to the stockpile of jerrycans at Berlin Tempelhof Airport and managed to take three of them. The German engineer also gave Pleiss complete specifications for the manufacture of the can. Pleiss continued on to Calcutta, put his car in storage, and flew back to Philadelphia, where he told American military officials about the can. He could raise no interest. Without a sample, he realized he could not get anywhere. He eventually shipped the car to New York by a roundabout method, and sent a can to Washington. The War Department decided instead to use World War I ten-US-gallon (38 l; 8.3 imp gal) cans with two screw closures, which required both a spanner and funnel for pouring.

The one jerrycan in American possession was sent to Camp Holabird, Maryland, where it was redesigned. The new design retained the handles, size and shape, but is most easily distinguishable from the German original by the simplified 'X' - stiffening indentations in the sides of the can. The US can could be stacked interchangeably with German or British cans. The German recessed welded seam was replaced with rolled seams which were prone to leakage. For fuel cans, the lining was removed and a spanner and funnel were required. A similar water can was also adopted, with a flip-top lid and enamel lining.

Offered in excellent condition, this is a totally original 1943 dated Petrol "Jerry Can", which is painted tropical tan (Gelbbraun) over a red primer coat. This can does not appear to have been repainted, so it is very possible that this is the original 1943 paint, indicating it was probably intended for the Italian Campaign, which continued to use the color schemes used in North Africa. It shows some light wear and denting, but nothing out of the ordinary a can that saw light service.

The side of the can is embossed with the identification and maker information:

Kraftstoff 20 L
Feuergefährlich
1943

AUSTRIA
WIEN

959
Wehrmacht

This translates to "fuel 20 liters - flammable", and maker marking indicates production by Enzesfelder Metallwerk AG of Wien (Vienna), a known maker of these cans.

Offered in very good solid condition, the nozzle latch is still functional, and the rubber gasket is still present, though now hardened. We checked the interior, and the original red enamel paint looks to be very well retained, though as always we cannot guarantee that it would still be able to hold fuel without leaking.

A very hard to find original Jerry can in excellent condition with great German WWII markings and tropical tan paint! Ready to display!

Approximate Measurements: 18"H x 14"W x 6 1/2"

  • This product is available for international shipping. Shipping not available to: Australia, France, or Germany
  • Not eligible for payment with Paypal or Amazon

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Cash For Collectibles