Original German WWII Silver Grade Panzer Assault Tank Badge by Hermann Wernstein - Solid Version
Original Items: Only One Available. The Panzer Badge (German: Panzerkampfabzeichen) was a World War II German military decoration awarded troops in armored divisions. The Panzer Badge was introduced on 20 December 1939, in order to recognize the achievements of Panzer personnel who took part in armored assaults. It was designed by the Berlin firm of Wilhelm Ernst Peekhaus, and was instituted by order of Generaloberst Walther von Brauchitsch. On 6 June 1940, a separate class of the badge, in Bronze, was added in order to recognize the crews of armored vehicles other than tanks. The award document that came with it was the common type that had the particulars of the recipient (rank, name) and the authorizing signature of an officer. The Panzer Badge was worn on the left tunic pocket. The bronze version of the Panzer Badge was authorized for armored personnel and Panzer grenadier units equipped with armoured vehicles. It was also to be presented to members of armored reconnaissance groups and rifle battalions of Panzer divisions. The authorization of these badges was usually done at a regimental or divisional level.
This fine example in Silver grade is constructed of oval shaped zinc with a silver wash. Unlike most badges we see, the wash is still almost fully intact on both sides, with just a bit of oxidation on areas of the front. Usually we see these faded almost entirely to the zinc based metal. The design is iconic, the front has a border of oak leaves tied at the base, a Heer-style national eagle clutching a mobile swas perches at the top of the wreath, a Panzerkampfwagen IV superimposed in the center on grassy ground, with its left tank track extending over the edge of the badge. The reverse plain with a vertical needle style pin, a crimped plated hinge, and a crimped round wire catch with maker mark W with 5 lines directly above in a circle, which represents Hermann Wernstein of Jena-Löbstedt. Measuring 1.64 inches (41.65 mm) W x 2.36 (60.06 mm) H.
Offered in overall excellent condition, with all the details still present. Ready to display!
The term panzer division (German: Panzerdivision) as commonly used in English language refers almost exclusively to the armored (tank) division in the army branch of the Wehrmacht and of NSDAP Germany during World War II. The panzer divisions were the key element of German success in the Blitzkrieg operations of the early years of the war. Later the Waffen-SS formed panzer divisions, and even the Luftwaffe fielded a panzer division, the Herman Goring Division. The term Panzerdivision is still used in today's Heer of the Bundeswehr (for example 1. Panzerdivision). In German speaking countries the term is not immediately associated with the Wehrmacht as it is in English speaking nations, as the word simply means 'armored division' and has no additional connotation.
A panzer division was a combined arms formation, having both tanks (German Panzerkampfwagen, "armored fighting vehicle", usually shortened to "Panzer") and infantry as organic components, along with artillery, anti-aircraft, signals, etc. However, the proportions of the components of a panzer division changed over time.
- This product is available for international shipping.
- Not eligible for payment with Paypal or Amazon