Original German WWII Silver Grade Infantry Assault Badge with Award Document
Original Items: Only One Available. This is a very nice example of a German WWII Infantry Assault Badge, complete with its original named and dated Besitzzeugnis "possession/award" certificate!
The award document indicates that it was awarded to Schützen Karl Haagen of Stab z.b.V. / Pi.Btl. 195 (Infantryman Haagen, Headquarters, Pioneer Battalion 195). We have not been able to locate service information on Schützen Karl Haagen or specifics on the 195th Pioneer Battalion. We were able to find out that the 195th Pioneer Battalion operated under the 95th Infanterie-Division during the war.
The document is in wonderful condition and without damage besides the expected fading. The award is on a thick red cardboard backing and in plastic to better preserve it. The Infantry Assault Badge is unmarked and in lovely displaying condition. Much of the original silver wash was retained, unfortunately the laurel on the right side is detached from the rifle buttstock.
These are truly wonderful items that would display well together. Ready to be framed and researched!
The Infantry Assault Badge (German: Infanterie-Sturmabzeichen) was a German war badge awarded to Waffen-SS and Wehrmacht Heer soldiers during the Second World War. This decoration was instituted on 20 December 1939 by the Commander-in-Chief of the German Army, Generalfeldmarschall Walther von Brauchitsch. It could be awarded to members of non-motorized Infantry units and units of the Gebirgsjäger that had participated in infantry assaults, with light infantry weapons, on at least three separate days of battle in the front line on or after 1 January 1940. When a counter offensive led to fighting, it could also apply. Award of the Infantry Assault Badge was authorized at regimental command level.
95th Infanterie-Division (Wehrmacht)
The 95th Infantry Division was formed on 19 September 1939 at the Wildflecken and Hammelburg training areas as the 5th Wave Division. It was equipped with Czech equipment. Personnel were drawn from WK VI and Army Group South in addition to WK IX. The division was to be ready for field deployment on 1 November 1940. The 13th Infantry Regiment companies were heavy grenade launcher companies. On December 1, 1939, the replacement deployment for the division raised in World War IX transferred to World War VI. At the end of December 1939, the division moved to the Westwall. In June 1940, it participated in the French campaign and broke through the Maginot Line at Merzig. From August 1940 to February 1941, the division was on leave for harvest operations. On April 2, 1941, the 13th companies became lGK companies. These were from the 211th Infantry Division. After being recalled, the division was deployed as an occupation force in northern France. In July 1941, the division moved to Ukraine and marched on Kiev. From October, the division took part in the fighting between Bryansk and Kursk. The year 1942 began again with fighting at Kursk, then at Voronezh and Gzhatsk. In the fall of 1942, the division moved to Rzhev. At the beginning of 1943 the division was engaged in heavy defensive and retreating fighting near Yelnya, then near Bryansk, Gomel, and eastward from Bobruisk. In the winter of 1943/44 the division was reorganized into a division of new type 44. Also in early 1944 the division fought around Bobruisk, then around Vitebsk, where it was destroyed in June 1944. On July 21, 1944, the division was disbanded with the 3rd Panzer Army and transferred to the H Corps Division. It formed Division Group 95 with Regimental Groups 278 and 279, Fusilier Battalion 195, and I and II/AR 195.
On September 10, 1944, a new 95th Infantry Division was established with Army Group Center in East Prussia at Rasinen by the redesignation of Korpsabteilung H. The division was north of Kauen at the time of the redesignation and was badly battered by the previous Russian attacks and the retreat fighting that resulted. On October 6, the Russian attack to reach the Baltic coast began. The front of the 95th Infantry Division was penetrated along its entire length by noon. As a result, the division had to retreat to the so-called "Breslau" position (command post Smeltyne, 1.5 km southwest of Nemakasciai). Subsequently, with heavy losses, it moved to the "Dresden" position (Stragute command post). However, this position could not be held either and the division went back to Tauroggen. Squeezed together in the Ragnit bridgehead, the division crossed the Memel River on October 22 and occupied the so-called "Memel" position. On November 20, the division was relieved by the 548th Volks-Grenadier Division and moved by rail transport to Memel. Here it was to be transferred to the XXVIII Army Corps in exchange for the Panzergrenadier Division "Großdeutschland". Army Corps in exchange for the Panzergrenadier Division "Großdeutschland". The division was deployed on the northern front of the Memel bridgehead between Gut Löllen and the Baltic Sea. In mid-January 1945, the Russian large-scale attack began in this area. This pushed German troops back to the Samland, with the 95th Infantry Division between Truschellen and Wirkutten on January 24. During the nights of January 24-28, the Memel front was withdrawn and the division crossed the Memel Low. Retreat fighting by the division in the Samland followed. The division fell into Russian captivity near Pillau and on Hela.
- This product is available for international shipping.
- Not eligible for payment with Paypal or Amazon