Item:
ONSV6803

Original German WWII USGI Bring Back Set of Two Partial Funeral Sashes with Markings

Item Description

Original Item: Only One Set Available. This is a very nice set of two partial German WWII Funeral Sashes, made of the usual rayon partial synthetic fiber. These were displayed during funerals for members of the various NSDAP-related organizations, as well as soldiers.  During the funeral they would often be draped over a wreath, and after burial were placed on top the plants and flowers placed over the grave. Typically they measured around 2 meters in length, and were double ended, with various organizations marked on the fabric. If it was a sash for a particular subordinate organization like the DAF, that emblem would appear on one end. Both ends would have a bullion fringe.

The two that we have here are both cut off examples, as they were usually secured, so to get them home they needed to be cut off. This is how they are usually seen, and complete examples are relatively rare. Both have the correct fringe, and are marked with a black Swas (Swas) on a white field.

The first sash measures approximately 38 inches, not counting the fringe. It has a sewn on Swas emblem, and shows age and light related fading to the fabric. The printed writing on the sash is still fully retained and clear:

der I. G. Farbenindustrie
Aktiengesselschaft

This sash was used for the funeral of someone related to Interessengemeinschaft Farbenindustrie Aktiengesselschaft (German for ''Dye industry syndicate corporation''), commonly known as IG Farben. This was a German chemical and pharmaceutical conglomerate. Formed in 1925 from a merger of six chemical companies—BASF, Bayer, Hoechst, Agfa, Chemische Fabrik Griesheim-Elektron, and Chemische Fabrik vorm. Weiler Ter Meer. It was seized by the Allies after World War II and divided back into its constituent companies.

The second sash measures approximately 49 inches, not counting the fringe. It has a dyed Swas emblem, and shows minor age and fading to the fabric. The printed writing on the sash has partially worn away, but is still mostly clear:

Das Kaiser - Wilhelm -
Institut für medizinische
Forschung

This translates to "The Kaiser Wilhelm Institute for Medical Research", which today is known as the Max Planck Institute for Medical Research. Founded in 1930, its original goal was to apply the methods of Physics and Chemistry to basic medical research, e.g. radiation therapy for cancer treatment, and it included departments of Chemistry, Physiology, and Biophysics. The deceased must have worked at the Institute.

Two very nice pieces of German WWII memorabilia, ready to display!

  • This product is available for international shipping. Shipping not available to: Australia, France, or Germany
  • Not eligible for payment with Paypal or Amazon

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Cash For Collectibles