Original German WWII NSDAP Ortsgruppe Glentorf Enamel Sign
Original item: One-of-a-kind. This is a wartime heavy iron enameled vaulted building identification sign. This is a very robust well-made sturdy sign, with typical construction details of German government signage. It is white with deep black lettering reading NSDAP Ortsgruppe Glentorf Amt f. Volkswohlfahrt (NSDAP District Glentorf Dept. of People's Welfare). Glentorf is located in northern Germany close to Hanover just outside Brunswick and was subject to repeated allied bombings.
Condition is generally good with expected areas of surface rust, staining and scuffing from years of exposure to the elements. The plaque measures 14 inches high by 19.5 inches wide.
Signs of this nature were quickly destroyed after the fall of Germany in April 1945, ones like this were salvaged by USGIs who wanted to bring home a trophy of war. Therefore, finding authentic (beware many fakes) porcelain building signs from the Third Reich has become quite difficult in the collector's market.
The NSDAP, Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei, (National Socialist German Worker’s Party), was originally founded in Munich as the DAP, Deutsche Arbeiterpartei, (German Worker’s Party), on January 5TH 1919. When Adolf AH joined the DAP in the autumn of 1919 he was to reform what was basically a debating society into an active political party. Appointed as the first chairman of the party on July 29TH 1921 AH was to restructure it along para-military lines in a hierarchy of four levels of government.
- This product is available for international shipping.
- Not eligible for payment with Paypal or Amazon