Original German WWII Normandy Camouflage M35 Named Helmet - SE64
Original Item: Only One Available. This is an incredible totally authentic example. This stamped sheet steel construction helmet retains original paint but shows wear and use. The best aspect of this helmet are the multiple layer of Camouflage paint in color and style known as "Normandy Camouflage". This type of paint and pattern was most commonly used by German soldiers stationed along the Northern France "Atlantic Wall" during the Summer of 1944. The paint is 100% authentic.
All three liner retaining pins are intact. The interior of the helmet still has the original M31 leather liner with all eight of it’s fingers intact. The liner still retains the original size adjustment string. The liner is in solid condition with signs of age. Original chinstrap is still present.
The reverse, interior, neck guard apron is batch number stamped, 3070 along with a name on the neck guard apron in white paint that reads Schröder. The paint, location and style of text is typical German WWII.
The interior, left side, apron has a stamped manufacturer’s code and size, SE64 indicating that indicating it was manufactured by Sächsische Emaillier u. Stanzwerke in size 64.
Not far from the Czechoslovakian border once lay the helmet factory Sächsische Emaillier und Stanzwerke A.G. Beginning in 1935 this factory served as a primary manufacturer of steel helmets for the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht), Police (Polizei), and Armed-SS (Waffen-SS) . The Sächsische Emaillier und Stanzwerke plant, along with the Eisenhüttenwerke firm in Thale, was one of the only two facilities involved in helmet production until the end of 1937. After 1937 three other firms were added to the total involved in producing steel helmets in an effort to supply the growing Wehrmacht with updated equipment. Helmets made by the Sächsische Emaillier und Stanzwerke firm were marked with the letters "SE" meaning "Sächsische Emaillier." These initials were placed on the inside left rim along side a two digit number denoting the metric shell size of the helmet. In 1943 the firm changed initials which resulted in the new shell marking "hkp." The "hkp" initials were later moved to the rear of the helmet and continued to be used through May 1945. These initials are generally found on M1942 helmets since they were placed into production mid-war at about the time the firm changed its designation. The Sächsische Emaillier und Stanzwerke was the second largest producer of German steel helmets (Stahlhelme) during the Second World War.
Overall a very nice 100% genuine M35 Named Heer Army helmet! M35 helmets of this quality are always the hardest to find on the market. This is an item that will only continue to appreciate in value over time.
The first "modern" steel helmets were introduced by the French army in early 1915 and were shortly followed by the British army later that year. With plans on the drawing board, experimental helmets in the field, ("Gaede" helmet), and some captured French and British helmets the German army began tests for their own steel helmet at the Kummersdorf Proving Grounds in November, and in the field in December 1915. An acceptable pattern was developed and approved and production began at Eisen-und Hüttenwerke, AG Thale/Harz, (Iron and Foundry Works), in the spring of 1916.
These first modern M16 helmets evolved into the M18 helmets by the end of WWI. The M16 and M18 helmets remained in usage through-out the Weimar Reichswehr, (National Defence Force, Circa 1919-1933), era and on into the early years of the Third Reich until the development of the smaller, lighter M35 style helmet in June 1935.
In 1934 tests began on an improved Stahlhelm, whose design was a development of World War I models. The Eisenhüttenwerke company of Thale carried out prototype design and testing, with Dr. Friedrich Schwerd once again taking a hand.
The new helmet was pressed from sheets of molybdenum steel in several stages. The size of the flared visor and skirt was reduced, and the large projecting lugs for the obsolete armor shield were eliminated. The ventilator holes were retained, but were set in smaller hollow rivets mounted to the helmet's shell. The edges of the shell were rolled over, creating a smooth edge along the helmet. Finally, a completely new leather suspension, or liner, was incorporated that greatly improved the helmet's safety, adjustability, and comfort for each wearer. These improvements made the new M1935 helmet lighter, more compact, and more comfortable to wear than the previous designs.
The Army's Supreme Command officially accepted the new helmet on June 25, 1935 and it was intended to replace all other helmets in service.
More than 1 million M1935 helmets were manufactured in the first two years after its introduction, and millions more were produced until 1940 when the basic design and production methods were changed.
This product is available for international shipping.
Eligible for all payments - Visa, Mastercard, Discover, AMEX, Paypal, Amazon & Affirm