Original German WWII Named Red Cross DRK EM/NCO Schirmmütze Visor Cap
Original Item: Only One available. This is a very good condition service used WWII Era Deutsches Rotes Kreuz (German Red Cross) EM/NCO Schirmmütze (Visor Cap). The cap has a very nice condition light gray canvas lining, with a fully intact celluloid sweat shield on the top, though there are no maker markings that we can see. The slot in the sweat shield has a small label naming it to Wilhelm Schmeckebier, a name which we have not attempted to research.
This is a high quality German made cap, fabricated from charcoal grey worsted wool cloth, with a lighter gray cap band, plus three rows of light gray color piping around the circumference. This is the standard color piping for DRK caps, and it can look blue or purple at times. As an EM/NCO cap, it has a black leather double buckled chinstrap, attached by black enamel buttons at the sides.
Cap is decorated with the correct insignia, including the DRK eagle insignia pin on the crown. On the cap band is a very nice metal open-topped oak leaf wreath, with the classic Tri-color cockade inside, with a red felt insert. Both are in good shape, and the eagle still has a fully intact attachment clip, so it is attached firmly.
The visor is the classic black color, vulcanfibre, with a black underside. The interior dark brown pressed paper faux leather is fully present, however it has torn in many areas, typical for the more fragile material.
A very nice German WWII Era visor cap, ready to add to your collection!
History of the German Red Cross (DRK)
The DRK, "Deutsches Rotes Kreuz" (German Red Cross), a voluntary civil assistance organization originally instituted in 1864, was officially acknowledged by the Geneva Convention in 1929. In December 1937 it gained status as a legally recognized organization by the NSDAP. As with other essential services in Third Reich Germany, it came under control of the NSDAP in late 1938 under the auspices of the Ministry of the Interior's Social Welfare Organization.
History of the "Red Cross" Symbol
It was important to clearly identify Medical personnel in the field. One of the early documents, such as the Amelioration of the Conditions of the Wounded in Armies in the Field signed August 22, 1864, by a number of Governments, already instructed that Flag and Arm Badges worn by Medical personnel would bear a Red Cross on a White Field. Both symbols when used on Hospitals, Ambulances, Evacuation and Aid Centers, were to be proof of their neutral status! These signs provided for neutrality of military and civilian protected personnel (it gave them non-belligerent status) exclusively engaged in removal, transportation, and treatment of wounded and sick, or the administration of sanitary formations and establishments, and entitled them to respect and protection from their enemies. The 1929 Geneva Convention which superseded the former agreement, was signed on July 27, 1929 by forty-seven countries (including the Axis countries, Germany, Italy, and Japan) and comprised numerous articles, among which Articles 9 and 21, recognizing that bearers of special identification cards and civilian protected personnel identified by armbands, and vehicles, and installations wearing Geneva Convention markings and markers, were all exclusively engaged in medical care activities, and consequently protected and respected by the Geneva Convention.
- This product is available for international shipping.
- Not eligible for payment with Paypal or Amazon