Original German WWII MG 34 Display Machine Gun dfb 42 with 1942 Dated Basket Drum
Original Item: One of a Kind! This is an original WWII issue MG34 display machine gun, and it is also one of the best we have had in recent times. The finish and condition are superb, and it will make a magnificent display piece for whoever purchases it. It is coded along with multiple German wartime markings and has multiple waffen amts. It bears serial number 513 / k on the barrel jacket, along with dfb 42 for the Gustloff-Werke, Waffenwekr Suhl. The top cover bears serial number 7953 on this very fine example of the most prolific German issued Light Machine gun of WW2.
Comprised of nearly entirely original WWII parts, this weapon has been rebuilt on an original WW2 re-welded de-milled receiver without internal parts that has been replaced with solid steel bar-stock. The receiver bears multiple waffen proofs as well as other markings. Comes complete with a post-war repainted basket belt drum.
The bipod included is of the early war design, with a central height adjustment knob. It has a waffenampt on the central portion as well as the attachment ring, and the cross pin is marked 993 40 between two waffenampts, indicating 1940 manufacture. We were not able to locate a manufacturer to match this code, but since the numbers were stamped one at a time, it is possible that it should be 963 for Johannes Grossfuss of Döbeln/Sachsen, and that the person marking neglected to invert the stamp to make a 6.
Feed tray is marked cof for Carl Eickhorn, Solingen, a prolific manufacturer of edged weapons. The wooden buttstock is marked with serial number 7940.
Also included is a very nice original German WWII Manufactured Basket Belt drum. It is marked HDK 1940 / 1h with a nice waffenampt proof next to it. This indicates 1940 manufacture by Eugen Zerver, Remscheid-Reinshagen, a toolmaker that produced small arms magazines.
Front and rear sight still flip up and function correctly, and the bipod folds away and locks in correctly. A fine display MG 34 LMGs and one the very last we have to offer, just perfect for your collection.
Please note that there may be various post-war markings on this display gun, in addition to the German WW2 markings.
The Maschinengewehr 34, or MG 34, is a German recoil-operated air-cooled machine gun, first tested in 1929, introduced in 1934, and issued to units in 1936. It accepts the 7.92×57mm Mauser cartridge, and is generally considered the world's first general-purpose machine gun.
The versatile MG 34 was arguably the most advanced machine gun in the world at the time of its deployment. Its combination of exceptional mobility - being light enough to be carried by one man - and high rate of fire (of up to 900 rounds per minute) was unmatched. It entered service in great numbers following Hitler's repudiation of the Versailles Treaty in 1936, and was first combat tested by German troops aiding Franco's Nationalists in the Spanish Civil War. Nonetheless, the design proved too complex for mass production, and was supplemented by the cheaper and simpler MG 42, though both remained in service and production until the end of the war.
History of the MG 34 "Universal Machine Gun"
The MG 34 was based on a 1930 Rheinmetall design, the MG 30. The Swiss and Austrian militaries had both licensed and produced the MG 30 from Rheinmetall shortly after patent. The MG 30 design was adapted and modified by Heinrich Vollmer of Mauser Industries. Vollmer modified the feed mechanism to accept either drum magazines or belt ammunition. He also increased the rate of fire. The MG 34's double crescent trigger dictated either semiautomatic or fully automatic firing modes.
In the field, the weapon could operate in offensive or defensive applications. The offensive model, with a mobile soldier, used a drum magazine that could hold either 50 or 75 rounds of ammunition. In a stationary defensive role, the gun was mounted on a bipod or tripod and fed by an ammunition belt. Belts were carried in boxes of five. Each belt contained 50 rounds. Belt lengths could be linked for sustained fire. During sustained fire, barrels would have to be changed at intervals due to the heat generated by the rapid rate of fire. If the barrels were not changed properly, the weapon would misfire. Changing barrels was a rapid process for the trained operator and involved disengaging a latch and swinging the receiver to the right for the insertion of a new barrel. Accordingly, stationary defensive positions required more than one operator.
The MG 34 was the mainstay of German Army support weapons from the time of its first issue in 1935 until 1942, when it was supplanted by the next generation Maschinengewehr 42 or MG 42. Although the 34 was very reliable and dominant on the battlefield, its dissemination throughout the German forces was hampered due to its precision engineering, which resulted in high production costs and a relatively slower rate of production. For its successor, the MG 42, the Germans instead used mass production techniques similar to those that created the MP 40 submachine gun. However, the Germans nevertheless continued widespread production of MG 34s until the end of the war.
The MG 34 was used as the primary infantry machine gun during the 1930s, and remained as the primary armored vehicle defensive weapon. It was to be replaced in infantry service by the related MG 42, but there were never enough quantities of the new design to go around, and MG 34s soldiered on in all roles until the end of World War II. The MG 34 was intended to replace the MG 13 and other older machine guns, but these were still being used in World War II as demand was never met.
It was designed primarily by Heinrich Vollmer from the Mauser Werke, based on the recently introduced Rheinmetall-designed Solothurn 1930 (MG 30) that was starting to enter service in Switzerland. Changes to the operating mechanism improved the rate of fire to between 800 and 900 rpm.
The new gun was accepted for service almost immediately and was generally liked by the troops, and it was used to great effect by German soldiers assisting Nationalist Spain in the Spanish Civil War. At the time it was introduced, it had a number of advanced features and the general-purpose machine gun concept that it aspired to was an influential one. However, the MG 34 was also expensive, both in terms of construction and the raw materials needed (49 kg (108.0 lb) of steel), and its manufacture was too time-consuming to be built in the numbers required for the ever-expanding German armed forces. It was the standard machine gun of the Kriegsmarine (German navy).
This product is not available for shipping in US state(s)
This product is not available for international shipping.
- This item is completely legal within the USA. International Military Antiques, Inc observes all Federal, State and Local laws. Everything for sale on ima-usa.com is completely legal to own, trade, transport and sell within the United States of America. Every display machine gun and machine gun parts set and gun sold by IMA, Inc is engineered to be inoperable according to guidelines provided by the US Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATF).
Not eligible for payment with Paypal or Amazon