Original German WWII Luftwaffe M40 Single Decal Helmet - SE64
Original Item: Only One Available. The first "modern" steel helmets were introduced by the French army in early 1915 and were shortly followed by the British army later that year. With plans on the drawing board, experimental helmets in the field, ("Gaede" helmet), and some captured French and British helmets the German army began tests for their own steel helmet at the Kummersdorf Proving Grounds in November, and in the field in December 1915. An acceptable pattern was developed and approved and production began at Eisen-und Hüttenwerke, AG Thale/Harz, (Iron and Foundry Works), in the spring of 1916.
These first modern M16 helmets evolved into the M18 helmets by the end of WWI. The M16 and M18 helmets remained in usage through-out the Weimar Reichswehr, (National Defence Force, Circa 1919-1933), era and on into the early years of the Third Reich until the development of the smaller, lighter M35 style helmet in June 1935.
In an effort to reduced construction time and labor costs minor modifications were introduced in March 1940 resulting in the M40 helmet. Further construction modifications were undertaken in August 1942 resulting in the M42 helmet.
This example is a stamped, sheet steel construction helmet retains much original paint showing but shows wear and use. The left side of the helmet has a second pattern, (Circa 1936/1937-1945), black detailed, silvery/white, Luftwaffe eagle decal, clutching a canted swastika in one talon. The decal is retained 70%. All three liner retaining pins are intact. The interior of the helmet still has an aged Luftwaffe blue/grey painted finish and a M31 leather liner with seven of eight of its fingers intact. The liner still has its original size adjustment string. The liner is named in ink.
The reverse, interior, neck guard apron is serial number stamped, "22490" and the interior, left side, apron has the faint, stamped manufacturer’s code and size, "SE64", indicating manufacture by Sächsische Emaillier-und Stanzwerke, AG Lauter, (Saxon Enamel and Die/Metal Stamp Works), size 64. Original chinstrap is included but is broken on one side. Shows the expected age and use.
Overall a very nice 100% genuine Luftwaffe helmet!
The Luftwaffe pattern national eagle was originally introduced for wear by Fliegerschaft, (Pilot Base), personnel of the DLV, Deutscher Luftsportsverband, (German Air Sports Association), the clandestine, civilian, forerunner of the Luftwaffe on August 18TH 1934, and adopted for wear by the Luftwaffe on March 1ST 1935 along with the national tri-color shield for wear on the helmet.
The first pattern national eagle was utilized until a modified second pattern eagle was introduced in late 1936 or early 1937. Regulations of June 12TH 1940 discontinued the use of the national tri-color decal and further regulations of August 28TH 1943 abolished the national eagle decal and dictated that it was also to be removed from all helmets although the directives were not completely adhered to.
This product is available for international shipping.
Not eligible for payment with Paypal or Amazon