Item:
ONSV21WOS87

Original German WWII Luftwaffe M35 Double Decal Helmet with 57cm Liner & Chinstrap - marked SE66

Regular price $1,395.00

Splitit Learn More

Item Description

Original Item: Only One Available. This is a great all original example Model 1935 German WWII "double decal" helmet, with a Luftwaffe Eagle decal on the left side, and a "National Colors" decal on the right side. This stamped sheet steel construction helmet retains about 85% of the original Fliegerblau (Flyer Blue) paint and is in very good condition overall. It does show overall wear from cleaning and service, giving it a great look. The National Colors decal is retained at about 75%, with with some wear through as shown. The Luftwaffe decal is probably around 75% as well, with wear and some areas missing. The use of the second decal was discontinued in 1940, and in 1943 it was ordered that helmets with the national colors have them removed, so finding a helmet with both still intact is a real treat!

The reverse, interior, neck guard apron is batch number stamped 4370, and the interior, left side, apron has a stamped manufacturer's code and size, SE66. This indicates it was manufactured by Sächsische Emaillier und Stanzwerke A.G. of Lauter, Germany in size 66. This is a nice large size that can accommodate size 58cm and 59cm liners, or 7 1/4 - 7 3/8 US. Shells of this large size are harder to find, and more valuable to a collector.

All three liner retaining pins are intact, with most of their original paint worn away. The helmet still has a very good condition M31 liner with all of the 8 fingers present and supple. The liner also still has its original size adjustment string, and overall there is only moderate wear the liner. It looks to have a name written on it, and is a mid war type with a galvanized steel band. The left exterior of the liner band is marked 64 n. A. / 57, indicating that it is a size 57 liner for a size 64 shell, and there is a 57 size stamped onto the leather. The right side displays the full manufacture information, as well as a date:

B. & C.
LITZMANNSTADT
1942

This liner was made by >Biedermann & Czarnikow, a German company who moved operations to Łódź in occupied Poland to take advantage of the slave labor in the ghetto located there. NSDAP authorities renamed Łódź to Litzmannstadt in honor of the German General Karl Litzmann who had captured the city in the previous World War.

This is definitely not the original liner that this helmet was issued with, and looks to be a late war replacement. At that point production was very limited, so using a smaller liner than the helmet was supposed to fit is sometimes seen. This is why the liner band is relatively loose in the shell.

The chin strap is present, and is dated 1942 faintly on the end of the longer portion. It has the correct steel buckle and attachment studs, and shows a fair amount of wear. The leather is now very dark and somewhat brittle. It is also missing leather near the middle, which looks to have worn away or possibly dry rotted off.

Overall a very nice totally correct 100% genuine double decal Luftwaffe helmet with a great look, ready to display!

The first "modern" steel helmets were introduced by the French army in early 1915 and were shortly followed by the British army later that year. With plans on the drawing board, experimental helmets in the field, ("Gaede" helmet), and some captured French and British helmets the German army began tests for their own steel helmet at the Kummersdorf Proving Grounds in November, and in the field in December 1915. An acceptable pattern was developed and approved and production began at Eisen-und Hüttenwerke, AG Thale/Harz, (Iron and Foundry Works), in the spring of 1916.

These first modern M16 helmets evolved into the M18 helmets by the end of WWI. The M16 and M18 helmets remained in usage through-out the Weimar Reichswehr, (National Defence Force, Circa 1919-1933), era and on into the early years of the Third Reich until the development of the smaller, lighter M35 style helmet in June 1935.

The Luftwaffe pattern national eagle was originally introduced for wear by Fliegerschaft, (Pilot Base), personnel of the DLV, Deutscher Luftsportsverband, (German Air Sports Association), the clandestine, civilian, forerunner of the Luftwaffe on August 18TH 1934, and adopted for wear by the Luftwaffe on March 1ST 1935 along with the national tri-color shield for wear on the helmet.

The first pattern national eagle was utilized until a modified second pattern eagle was introduced in late 1936 or early 1937. Regulations of June 12TH 1940 discontinued the use of the national tri-color decal and further regulations of August 28TH 1943 abolished the national eagle decal and dictated that it was also to be removed from all helmets although the directives were not completely adhered to.

  • This product is available for international shipping.
  • Not eligible for payment with Paypal or Amazon

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Cash For Collectibles