Original German WWII Kriegsmarine Naval Battle Flag with Wartime Markings 100cm x 170cm by Johann Liebieg & Co Sudetenland
Original Item: Only One Available. Reichskriegsflagge (Imperial War Flag) was the official name of the war flag and war ensign used by the German armed forces from 1933 to 1945. Recently acquired from a veteran's estate this is without a doubt the most impressive battle flag of the German WW2 era, it measures 39.50" x 67", or 100cm x 170cm.
Constructed of wool with a bright red background with a large white central circle displaying a huge swastika with the German Naval Cross design also in black to the edges. In the top corner is a black on white Iron cross.
This Naval battle flag is totally original and is in very good condition, only some minor moth damage. Cleanly stamped in the upper corner with the Reichsadler over M Kriegsmarine emblem. Right next to this it is marked Kr. Fl. 100 x 170, and on the reverse it it has a hand written marking of 64.254 / R.E. DOERING.
The manufacturer is also clearly marked on the lower corner:
Johann Liebieg & Comp.
Good students of history will remember that the Sudetenland was the area of Czechoslovakia with a high German population that was annexed by Germany during the pre-war period, when "appeasement" was the policy of the rest of Europe. Under the Munich Agreement, France agreed not to honor their alliance with Czechoslovakia, and the Sudetenland became an occupied territory.
The city of Reichenberg, known as Liberic to the Czech population, was the center of the "Pan-German" and Nazi movements in the area, so this is definitely a flag of interest, with some nice research potential.
This is a wonderful example of this classic Third Reich Naval Battle flag.
Designed personally by Adolf Hitler, this flag served the Heer and the Luftwaffe as their War Flag, and the Kriegsmarine as its War Ensign (the National Flag serving as Jack). This flag was hoisted daily in barracks operated by units of the Wehrmacht combined German military forces, and it had to be flown from a pole positioned near the barracks entrance, or failing this, near the guard room or staff building. New recruits in the latter part of World War II were sworn in on this flag (one recruit holding the flag and taking the oath on behalf of the entire recruit class with the recruits looking on as witnesses - before, this was done on the regimental colors).
The flag had to be formally hoisted every morning and lowered every evening. These hoisting and lowering ceremonies took the form of either an ordinary or a ceremonial flag parade. At the ordinary raising, the party consisted of the Orderly Officer of the Day, the guard, and one musician. At the ceremonial raising, one officer, one platoon of soldiers with rifles, the guard, the regimental band, and the corps of drums were all present.
The proportions of the flag are 3:5. Fusing elements of the Nazi German Flag (swastika and red background) with that of the old Imperial Reich War Flag (four arms emanating from off-center circle and Iron Cross in the canton), these flags were uniformly produced as a printed design on bunting.
Raised for the first time at the Bendlerstraße Building (Wehrmacht Headquarters) in Berlin on November 7, 1935, It was taken down for the last time by British occupation forces after the arrest of the Dönitz Government at the Naval Academy Mürwik in Flensburg-Mürwik, Germany, on May 23, 1945.
In his book, Inside the Third Reich, Albert Speer states that "in only two other designs did he (Adolf Hitler) execute the same care as he did his Obersalzberg house: that of the Reich War Flag and his own standard of Chief of State."
This product is available for international shipping.
- IMA in no way endorses the ideals of the Third Reich, this item is intended for serious collectors only, and is sold for its historical significance.
Not eligible for payment with Paypal or Amazon