Original German WWII FlaK 88 High Explosive Inert Shell with Casing & Fuse Container - WWII Marked and Dated
Original Item: Only One Available. This round is totally inert and deactivated following guidelines provided by the ATF. This example is offered in excellent condition with original paint and markings.
The 8.8 cm Flak 18/36/37/41 is a German 88 mm anti-aircraft and anti-tank artillery gun from World War II. It was widely used by Germany throughout the war, and was one of the most recognized German weapons of that conflict. Development of the original model led to a wide variety of guns.
The name FlaK 88 applies to a series of related guns, the first one officially called the 8.8 cm Flak 18, the improved 8.8 cm Flak 36, and later the 8.8 cm Flak 37. Flak is a contraction of German Flugzeugabwehrkanone meaning "aircraft-defense cannon", the original purpose of the weapon. In English, "flak" became a generic term for ground anti-aircraft fire. In informal use, the guns were universally known as the Acht-acht ("eight-eight") by Germans and the "eighty-eight" by the Allies.
The versatile carriage allowed the 8.8 cm FlaK to be fired in a limited anti-tank mode when still on its wheels; it could be completely emplaced in only two and a half minutes. Its successful use as an improvised anti-tank gun led to the development of a tank gun based upon it: the 8.8 cm KwK 36, with the "KwK" abbreviation standing for Kampfwagen-Kanone (literally "battle vehicle cannon", or "fighting vehicle cannon"), meant to be placed in a gun turret as the tank's primary armament. This gun served as the main armament of the Tiger I heavy tank.
In addition to these Krupp designs, Rheinmetall later created a more powerful anti-aircraft gun, the 8.8 cm Flak 41, which was produced in relatively small numbers. Krupp responded with another prototype of the long-barreled 8.8 cm gun, which was further developed into the anti-tank and tank destroyer 8.8 cm PaK 43 gun used for the Elefant and Jagdpanther, and turret-mounted 8.8 cm KwK 43 heavy tank gun of the Tiger II.
This example is offered in very good condition, and measures 37 inches in overall length. It is marked in numerous places with German insertion stamps, manufacturer codes and technical designations. The shell has original yellow paint, and there are maker and filling information stenciled in black, along with 1943 dates. The steel fuse is marked AZ 23/28 along with 43 cjg, indicating 1943 manufacture by Bartelmuss und Suchy, Bielitz / Oberschlesien. The yellow paint and two rotating bands indicate that it is a High-Explosive round.
The painted steel shell casing measures 22-1/2" high and is marked on the base with P414 and 1940 stamped into the steel. It is also stenciled with Sprgr. AZ / FES, indicating the type of shell the casing is loaded with.
The fuze unscrews from the top of the shell, and fits perfectly in the included bakelite fuze holder. It is a steel fuze, so there is some oxidation on the exterior, and the top does not unscrew like an aluminum fuze usually would.
Complete rounds such as these with original paint and intact markings are extremely rare. Ready to add to your collection and display!
- This product is not available for international shipping.
- This item is completely legal within the USA. International Military Antiques, Inc observes all Federal, State and Local laws. Everything for sale on ima-usa.com is completely legal to own, trade, transport and sell within the United States of America. Every display machinegun and machine gun parts set and gun sold by IMA, Inc is engineered to be inoperable according to guidelines provided by the US Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATF).
- Not eligible for payment with Paypal or Amazon