Original German WWII Camouflage M42 Helmet - hkp 66
Original Item: One-of-a-kind. This example of a German Army (Heer) M42 helmet retains original camouflage paint. All three original liner retaining pins are intact. The interior of the helmet still has the original M31 leather liner with all eight of its fingers intact. The liner is in very good supple condition. The original chinstrap is present and in good complete condition.
The reverse, interior, neck guard apron is serial number stamped, 3554 and bears a stamped manufacturer's code and size. The shell is stamped hkp 66 indicating that Sächsische Emaillier und Stanzwerke A.G. of Germany manufactured it. Size 66 is a nice large size that can accommodate liners from 58cm to 60cm or US 7 1/4 to 7 1/2. Size 66 shells are much harder to find and are therefore more valuable to a collector.
The helmet still has its correct M31 liner with all 8 of its fingers intact. The liner still has its original leather size adjustment string, and while somewhat dry, does not have any major tears. There is discoloration from wear and age. The liner band is the aluminum type seen on later war helmets.
Overall a very nice totally correct 100% genuine Army helmet with genuine period camouflage paint!
The first "modern" steel helmets were introduced by the French army in early 1915 and were shortly followed by the British army later that year. With plans on the drawing board, experimental helmets in the field, ("Gaede" helmet), and some captured French and British helmets the German army began tests for their own steel helmet at the Kummersdorf Proving Grounds in November, and in the field in December 1915. An acceptable pattern was developed and approved and production began at Eisen-und Hüttenwerke, AG Thale/Harz, (Iron and Foundry Works), in the spring of 1916.
These first modern M16 helmets evolved into the M18 helmets by the end of WWI. The M16 and M18 helmets remained in usage through-out the Weimar Reichswehr, (National Defence Force, Circa 1919-1933), era and on into the early years of the Third Reich until the development of the smaller, lighter M35 style helmet in June 1935.
In an effort to reduced construction time and labor costs minor modifications were introduced in March 1940 resulting in the M40 helmet. Further construction modifications were undertaken in August 1942 resulting in the M42 helmet.
The Luftwaffe pattern national eagle was originally introduced for wear by Fliegerschaft, (Pilot Base), personnel of the DLV, Deutscher Luftsportsverband, (German Air Sports Association), the clandestine, civilian, forerunner of the Luftwaffe on August 18TH 1934, and adopted for wear by the Luftwaffe on March 1ST 1935 along with the national tri-color shield for wear on the helmet.
The first pattern national eagle was utilized until a modified second pattern eagle was introduced in late 1936 or early 1937. Regulations of June 12TH 1940 discontinued the use of the national tri-color decal and further regulations of August 28TH 1943 abolished the national eagle decal and dictated that it was also to be removed from all helmets although the directives were not completely adhered to.
This product is available for international shipping.
Not eligible for payment with Paypal or Amazon