Original German WWII 2nd Class Iron Cross Medal Grouping With Matching Ribbon Bar - 4 Items
Original Items: Only One Group of 4 Available. This is a wonderful opportunity, especially for the new collectors out there wanting to add a beautiful assortment of items to their collection. Whether you are wanting to get into collecting or just add to already existing collections, you do not want to miss out on this lot.
The Pieces Included Are:
- 1939 Iron Cross 2nd Class (EK2) With Ribbon: This is a lovely condition medal with signs of wear. The silvered edges have a beautiful patina to them with minor crazing and oxidation to the black painted center. A wonderful example!
- Eastern Front Medal (Ostmedaille): The medal shows signs of minor wear and has minor surface oxidation and build-up. The ribbon is slightly stained but overall condition is excellent!
- Romanian Crusade Against Communism Medal: The medal is in excellent, near mint condition and shows signs of little to no wear. Truly a wonderful example!
- (3) Award Ribbon Bar: The ribbon bar has 3 awards present, all reflecting the previously stated above, EKII, Ost Medal & Romanian Crusade Medal. The ribbon bar shows slight to no wear and is an excellent example.
All awards come ready to display!
The standard 1939 Iron Cross was issued in the following two grades:
Iron Cross 2nd Class (Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse – abbreviated as EK II or E.K.II.)
Iron Cross 1st Class (Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse – abbreviated as EK I or E.K.I.)
The Iron Cross was awarded for bravery in battle as well as other military contributions in a battlefield environment.
The Iron Cross 2nd Class came with a ribbon and the cross itself was worn in one of two different ways:
-From the second button in the tunic from the first day after awarded.
-When in formal dress, the entire cross was worn mounted alone or as part of a medal bar.
Note that for everyday wear, only the ribbon was worn from the second buttonhole in the tunic.
The Iron Cross 1st Class was a pin-on medal with no ribbon and was worn centered on a uniform breast pocket, either on dress uniforms or everyday outfit. It was a progressive award, with the second class having to be earned before the first class and so on for the higher degrees.
It is estimated that some four and a half million 2nd Class Iron Crosses were awarded during World War II, and 300,000 of the 1st Class.
The Eastern Medal (German: Ostmedaille), officially the Winter Battle in the East 1941–42 Medal (German: Medaille Winterschlacht im Osten 1941/42), was a military award of the Wehrmacht which was created by ordinance of Adolf H on 26 May 1942.
The Eastern Medal was awarded to any member of the Wehrmacht and Waffen-SS "in recognition of experience in the struggle against the Bolshevik enemy and the Russian winter within the period from 15 November 1941 to 15 April 1942." It was also awarded posthumously to any service member who died in the line of duty within the Soviet Union. It was wryly called the Frozen Meat Medal or the "Order of the Frozen Flesh" (German: Gefrierfleischorden).
Crusade Against Communism Medal
The Medalia Cruciada împotriva comunismului ("Crusade Against Communism medal", in reference to Operation Barbarossa) was a Romanian military award of World War II. It was instituted on April 1, 1942 by the Royal Decree No. 1014, of King Michael I of Romania. It was commissioned to recognise the distinguished service of Romanian and other Axis Powers military and civilian personnel operating on both the Eastern and Home fronts.
The medal, 31.5 mm in diameter and of brass construction, features on the front side a clenched fist holding a sword representative of the campaign. The same side also displays the date 1941 and around its circumference is written CRUCIADA ÎMPOTRIVA COMUNISMULUI. The reverse side features the Romanian liberty symbol and the phrase ROM NIA RECUNOSCĂTOARE, translated in English as "Romania is Grateful". The reverse sometimes features the name "P. GRANT" under the liberty symbol. The medal is suspended by a medal ribbon which is primarily of red, bordered by white and the center featuring the national colors of Romania, red, yellow and blue.
- This product is available for international shipping.
- Not eligible for payment with Paypal or Amazon