Item:
ONSV4651

Original German WWII 1942 Dated Portuguese Contract MP34(o) Steyr Solothurn Display Gun

Item Description

Original Item: Only One Available. This is a non-functional BATF approved non-firing display machine gun. In fact only 10% of the receiver remains, but that is mostly hidden by the top cover resulting is a fully legal beautiful display "non-gun". 

This example is offered in excellent condition and is wonderfully marked with the Portuguese crest and 1942 date both just forward of the safety and on the butt stock. Magazine is functional but will be deactivated where not permitted.

Produced after 1938 when Germany annexed Austria this example was produced in 1942 (shows a clear 1942 date) and bears the crest of Portugal. Portugal bought in small quantities the .45 ACP version and was adopted as Pistola-metralhadora 11,43mm m/935. Portugal also purchased small quantities of the S1-100 in 7.65 mm Luger calibre in 1938, and the weapon was adopted as the Pistola-metralhadora 7,65 mm m/938 Steyer submachine gun. In 1941 and 1942, larger numbers of 9mm MP34 guns were delivered to Portugal by Germany. In Portuguese service, the 9mm MP34 was known as the Pistola-metralhadora 9 mm m/942 Steyer. Many m/942 guns carry a Portuguese crest just forward of the safety mechanism. The m/942 remained in service with Portuguese Army into the 1950s, and was used until the 1970s by paramilitary and security forces in Portugal's overseas African colonies during the Portuguese Colonial Wars.

Issued in 9mm parabellum these were used by countless German troops and other Nations friendly with the Germans. This IMA example was found in Portugal in the early 1990’s.

Wonderfully constructed with prewar quality at Steyr in Austria, ventilated barrel jacket with built in magazine loader in the magazine housing complete with wood butt stock assembly.

History of the MP34
The MP34 was based on a design for the MP18 by the Rheinmetall company based in Düsseldorf. The weapon is similar in design to the MP18 Bergmann, which itself saw service towards the end of World War I.

Restrictions on the manufacture of certain armaments within the 1919 Treaty of Versailles forbade Germany from manufacturing certain types of weapons, such as light automatic firearms (designated as SMGs with barrels in excess of four inches (102 mm) and magazines holding more than eight rounds). To circumvent the treaty, Rheinmetall acquired the Swiss company Waffenfabrik Solothurn in 1929 and began secret production of a prototype. What was to become the MP34 was originally designated ‘S1-100’ using the company’s standard naming convention.

Due to the Solothurn Company being unsuited for mass production, Rheinmetall took a controlling interest in Waffenfabrik Steyr, an established arms manufacturer in Austria. Weapons manufactured by Steyr were sold via the Zurich-based trade company Steyr-Solothurn Waffen AG to both the commercial and military markets.

The MP34 was manufactured from the very best materials available and finished to the highest possible standard. It was so well manufactured that it has often been nicknamed the "Rolls Royce of submachine guns". However, its production costs were extremely high as a consequence.

  • This product is not available for international shipping.
  • Not eligible for payment with Paypal or Amazon

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Cash For Collectibles