Original German WWII 1939 Dated Luftwaffe M35 Double Decal Steel Helmet with Dome Stamp, 56cm Liner & Chinstrap - marked Q66
Original Item: Only One Available. This is an incredible all original example of a Model 1935 German early WWII "double decal" helmet, complete with original liner and chinstrap! It features 2nd pattern Luftwaffe Eagle decal on the left side, and a "National Colors" decal on the right. The use of the second decal was discontinued in 1940, and in 1943 it was ordered that helmets with the national colors have them removed, so finding a helmet with both still intact is a real treat!
The Luftwaffe decal is probably around 80%, with some missing parts and a bit of cracking from age. The National Colors decal is 95+% complete with just a bit of age and wear. The paint is the correct smooth blue-gray Luftwaffe fliegerblau (flyer's blue) used on early helmets, which would later become textured, and is well retained at about 75%. There are areas of paint loss and oxidation on both the interior and exterior of the shell. All three liner retaining pins are intact, with most of their original paint as well. Just a great example of an early WWII period helmet with a fantastic patina!
The reverse, interior, neck guard apron is serial number stamped 4287 and above this is the faint stamped manufacturer's code and size Q66, indicating that it was manufactured by F.W. Quist G.m.b.H. in the German city of Esslingen. Size 66 is a nice larger size that can accommodate liners from 58cm to 59cm or US 7 1/4 to 7 5/8. Size 66 shells are harder to find and are therefore more valuable to a collector.
The interior of the helmet still has the original "Dome Stamp" inspection mark, which is almost completely legible, reading:
für Heer und Marine
This translates basically to "Accepted, 1939, Procurement Office for Army and Navy." Dome stamps are seldom still visible on the inside of helmets, and ones this clear are exceedingly rare!
The helmet still has its correct very good condition M31 liner with all of the 8 fingers present and supple. The liner also still has its original size adjustment string, and overall there is only moderate wear to the liner, with a small cut near the rim on the left side. The liner band is aluminum, with square aluminum chin strap loops attached to reinforced sides. This is the last pattern before the move to galvanized steel bands. The left exterior of the liner band is marked 66 n.A / 59, indicating that it is a size 57 liner for a size 64 shell. It is faintly stamped 59 in a circle on one of the fingers as well. It is also maker marked and dated on the other side:
SCHUBERTH - WERK K.-G.
The chinstrap is present, and intact, but the leather has dried out over time, and is now stretched over the brim a bit. It has the correct early war aluminum attachment studs, which are both still present.
Overall a very nice 100% genuine double decal Luftwaffe helmet with nice decals a great look! The dome stamp and great liner are the icing on the cake! We do not get helmets like these very often at all. Ready to display!
The first "modern" steel helmets were introduced by the French army in early 1915 and were shortly followed by the British army later that year. With plans on the drawing board, experimental helmets in the field, ("Gaede" helmet), and some captured French and British helmets the German army began tests for their own steel helmet at the Kummersdorf Proving Grounds in November, and in the field in December 1915. An acceptable pattern was developed and approved and production began at Eisen-und Hüttenwerke, AG Thale/Harz, (Iron and Foundry Works), in the spring of 1916.
These first modern M16 helmets evolved into the M18 helmets by the end of WWI. The M16 and M18 helmets remained in usage through-out the Weimar Reichswehr, (National Defence Force, Circa 1919-1933), era and on into the early years of the Third Reich until the development of the smaller, lighter M35 style helmet in June 1935.
The Luftwaffe pattern national eagle was originally introduced for wear by Fliegerschaft, (Pilot Base), personnel of the DLV, Deutscher Luftsportsverband, (German Air Sports Association), the clandestine, civilian, forerunner of the Luftwaffe on August 18TH 1934, and adopted for wear by the Luftwaffe on March 1ST 1935 along with the national tri-color shield for wear on the helmet.
The first pattern national eagle was utilized until a modified second pattern eagle was introduced in late 1936 or early 1937. Regulations of June 12TH 1940 discontinued the use of the national tri-color decal and further regulations of August 28TH 1943 abolished the national eagle decal and dictated that it was also to be removed from all helmets although the directives were not completely adhered to.
- This product is available for international shipping.
- Not eligible for payment with Paypal or Amazon