Original German WWI Refurbished Austro-Hungarian M17 Machine Gun Company Camouflage Helmet - Stamped W64
Original Item: One-of-a-kind. This is a fine example of totally original Model M17 M-1917 Austrian Hungarian WW1 size 64 helmet shell. The shell is stamped W64 indicating that A. Westen Cilli Celie, in Slovenia manufactured it. Size 64 is a larger size that can accommodate liners from 56cm to 58cm or US 7 to 7 1/4.
The Central Powers of Austria-Hungary used, manufactured and commissioned, variations of the World War One German Stahlhelm M16 design. The Austrian M1917 helmet was similar to the German M1916, but had a few variations including the chinstrap, chinstrap rivets located higher up on the steel shell and variations in locations of markings among others.
Early Austrian helmets were supplied by Germany, the first shells supplied as the chinstrap rivets were mounted in a lower position. The Austrians fitted their own chinstrap bales, chinstraps and liner and painted them in Austrian "Isonzo braun." These modifications were carried out with German machinery at the "Adolf Westen di Cilli" factory, which is now Celije, in Slovenia.
This helmet shell is 100% original and will have the following notable features-
WWI Machine Gun Company camo helmet
- In 1916 the German Army first introduced what would be the modern military metal helmet.
- Always innovative, the Germans also were the first to paint a camo scheme on the helmet to break up the round smooth shiny surface that exposed it’s wearer during the day.
- The Block’ came in a rigid or fluid line with the blocks filled with greens or Browns.
- As the war progressed individual unit’s added symbols of pride.
- The Machine Gunner who wore this helmet added the Machine Gun Symbol to his helmet.
- Maker’s code with size marking 64 stamped on the interior of the shell. Maker’s codes vary (see chart below) and all will be genuine WW1!
- Correct original air ventilation lugs.
- Rolling Mill dome stamp (under the paint) located on the outside (top) dome of every WWI Austrian M17 helmet you will find a heating lot code, these codes were used by the steel factories during production. These steel mills were called rolling mills. (see list of makers in chart below).
- Traditional WW1 style three-pad leather liner.
- Chinstrap mounted to the liner or directly the shell.
What does refurbished mean? While the shell is 100% genuine WWII manufacture, we have tasked, perhaps the very best German Helmet restorer in the USA, to customize this helmet. Every detail is hand done, with the finest materials including a hand painted shell with high quality authentic decal. Please know that the paint, decal, liner and chinstrap, while they look totally original are all new and the helmet has been refurbished to look as if it was picked up off the battle field by a USGI and brought home as a war trophy.
This helmet is one-of-a-kind there will never be one exactly like it making it a true collectors piece that will do nothing but appreciate in value in the coming years. This is a rare opportunity to own a genuine WWII German Helmet for a fraction of the cost of one with original camouflage paint and decals.
This product is available for international shipping.
Not eligible for payment with Paypal or Amazon