Original German U-boat Insignia Lot - WWII Kriegsmarine Ratings Badges & Dog Tag with Post War Cap Tally
Original Items: Only One Lot of 5 Available. The Kriegsmarine (War Navy) was the navy of NSDAP Germany from 1935 to 1945, having superseded the interwar Reichsmarine. The Kriegsmarine was involved in World War II from its outset, and was originally intended to achieve a fleet power in parity with the UK Royal Navy per "Plan Z", implemented in January 1939. The breakout of WWII in September 1939 however caused a change in direction to favor U-Boat warfare, so plan Z was shelved for the remainder of the war.
After the war, Germany was partitioned into occupation zones, and had no armed forces to speak of. The Federal Republic of Germany (West Germany) and the German Democratic Republic (East Germany) were later formed, and as the cold war intensified, the need to have a military in Germany was discussed. As East Germany was already secretly rearming, and with the failure of some security treaties, West Germany was allowed to rearm, and the Bundeswehr was founded in 1955. By 1961 they had a Navy, and began to form Uboat Squadrons.
This grouping is a fantastic set of German Kriegsmarine Rating Insignia, along with a Dog Tag and Post War Bundeswehr Cap Tally, which would be a worthy part of any German Naval collection. This grouping includes THREE different Ratings or "Trade" badges for Petty officers.
On entering Kriegsmarine service all personnel were assigned and trained for a specific career. These careers consisted of a wide variety of specialty trades and functions with some of the careers restricted to certain rank groups. On successful completion of the appropriate training, personnel were issued distinctive career insignia to be worn on the upper left sleeve of the uniforms. For EM/NCO’s the career insignia could be worn combined with the rank insignia or as separate insignia. Enlisted ranks of Matrose up to and including Hauptgefreiter career insignia were generally embroidered on small, round, bases while NCO ranks of Maat up to and including Oberdeckoffizier career insignia were on larger, vertically oval bases and could come in embroidered or stamped alloy versions. Regulations dictated that the base color of the insignia was to match the color of the uniform it was worn on.
The three WWII Kriegsmarine ratings badges included as part of this set are:
- Obermaschinenmaat (Machinist's Mate 2nd Class) Embroidered Ratings Badge. This features a navy blue backing with gold embroidered insignia. There is an anchor with a large gear on top of it, with a chevron underneath, indicating a 2nd Class Petty Officer. Condition is excellent.
- Obersperrwaffen-Mechanikersmaat (Mine Engineer Mechanics Mate 2nd Class) Embroidered Ratings Badge. This features a navy blue backing with gold embroidered insignia. There is a slanted anchor with a large gear on top of it, and a mine on top of that. There is a chevron underneath, indicating a 2nd Class Petty Officer. Condition is excellent.
- Torpedomechanikmaat (Torpedo Mechanic's Mate 3rd Class) Metal Ratings Badge. This features a navy blue backing with gilt metal insignia. and a metal backing plate. There is an anchor with a large gear on top of it, and a torpedo on top of that. There is no chevron underneath, indicating a 3rd Class Petty Officer. Condition is excellent.
The other items in this set consist of:
- Kriegsmarine Erkennungsmarke Dog Tag, made of later war Zinc or Aluminum. It is marked Kriegsmarine 8870 / 45K, indicating that they were the 8870th person to enlist or be drafted in 1945, and they were in the K or Küstendienst Land (Coastal Service) group, working as an artilleryman, driver or weapons specialist.
- Post War West German Bundeswehr Navy 1. Ubootgeschwader Cap Tally. This cap tally is marked 1. UBOOTGESCHWADER 1., for the Submarine Squadron raised in 1961 by the West German Bundeswehr. It was subordinated to the newly established Ubootflottille on 1 November 1961, and received its first submarine in 1962.
This lot of items is perfect for the individual who is looking for a place to start collecting. Comes more than ready to display!
- This product is available for international shipping.
- Not eligible for payment with Paypal or Amazon