Original German Pre-WWII South Bavarian A.D.A.C. Stop Watch by Minerva - Fully Functional
Original Item. Only One Available. We have had very few of these Torpedo Timer type Stop Watches in over 35 years of business in the U.S.A. This one was made by the German WW2 Military Contractor Minerva of Switzerland and is marked on the dial. There is a lot of information regarding this Swiss manufacturer who started business in 1848 to be found on the Internet.
This Stop Watch still runs perfectly, and is housed in a Silver-plated nickel alloy case. The fluted knob on the top controls everything. You wind it up and when you push it in once the single seconds had starts moving immediately. On the second push, the second hand freezes at the time elapsed position. On the third push the timer resets itself to zero ready for reuse.
It is in fully working order and on the rear there is an engraving of a Nazi circled swastika over engraved inscription Eigentum Gau Südbayern A.D.A.C. V, indicating that it is the Property of Southern Bavarian District's A.D.A.C.. This was a chapter of a German "automobile club", which was founded in 1903 as as a motorcycle club. In 1911 the name was changed to the Allgemeiner Deutscher Automobil-Club (ADAC), and in 1927 it launched it's roadside assistance program. Unfortunately, all clubs such as this were taken over by the Nazi Party in 1934,and merged into the "German Car Club". These "Clubs" were used by the Nazis to encourage Automobile skills as they did for Flying skills during the time when Germany was not allowed and Military organisations. The Swastika on this watch looks to have been added after the club was taken over in 1934.
The dial still retains all it's enamel and the Maker's name is quite clear. The inside of the rear case is marked with serial number 924679.
An interesting NAZI accessory not very often run into.
About Minerva Watches
Minerva is a storied Swiss watch manufacturer, famous especially for producing chronograph movements and today part of Montblanc in the Richemont group. The company was originally founded in 1858 as H. & C. Robert in Villeret in the Bernese Jura, the French-speaking area of the Swiss canton of Bern. By 1908 the company was known as Robert Frères Villeret, and began production of chronographs and stopwatches. In 1923 the brand name "Minerva" was introduced, and in 1929 the company was renamed to "Minerva SA, Villeret". In 1934 Minerva SA was taken over by Charles Haussener and Jacques Pelot.
How many times have we all seen these being used in WW2 movies?
Movement is in a fully working condition.
There is no warranty for this watch and returns for a non-working watch will not be honored. Please note all watches are wound and tested then recorded on video before shipment. We are not in the watch repair business- ALL SALES ARE FINAL.
- This product is not available for international shipping.
- Not eligible for payment with Paypal or Amazon