Original German Pre-WWII ERMA EMP Display Machine Gun with Display Magazine - Serial F-8331
Original Item: Only One Available. Just purchased from a private collection, this is a fantastic ERMA EMP Inert Display Sub Machine Gun, built from all original parts on a BATF approved display receiver. It was re-welded with 30% replaced by solid steel, as required. The ends of the barrel have also been welded up to deactivate it.
This is a very nice example of the ERMA EMP (Erma Maschinenenpistole) designed and manufactured by Erfurter Maschinenfabrik (Erfurt Machine Factory or ERMA), usually simply called ERMA Werke. The magazine well is marked with serial number F - 8331, over a CAL.9.L. marking, indicating chambering in 9mm Largo, the standard round used for guns supplied to Spain. The included magazine ;is a modified 9mm Sten magazine, which is press fit into the magazine well.
Condition is very good, with a moving trigger and release for the receiver, though the receiver can no longer be unlocked with it. The selector switch on the right side is still present and moves back and forth, though it cannot move all the way to the rear due to how the display gun was constructed. The stock is in good shape, with the expected wear from service. The included modified sten magazine will be deactivated where required.
Overall a very nice example of a hard to find Pre World War Two SMG, ready to research and display!
The German sub-machine gun EMP (Erma Maschinenpistole) also known as MPE (Maschinenpistole Erma) was produced by the Erma factory, and was based on designs acquired from Heinrich Vollmer. The gun was produced from 1931 to 1938 in roughly 10,000 exemplars (in three main variants) and exported to Spain, Mexico, China and Yugoslavia, but also used domestically by the SS. It was produced under license in Spain by the arsenal of A Coruña under the designation M41/44.
In the early 1920s, Vollmer started to develop his own sub-machineguns. His early models, named VPG, VPGa, VPF and VMP1925 were fairly similar to the MP18. The VMP1925 had a wooden handgrip and was fed by a small 25-round drum magazine, connected directly to the gun. The VMP1925 was secretly tested by the Reichswehr, along with competing designs from Schmeisser and Rheinmetall. (The Reichswehr was prohibited by the Versailles Treaty from having sub-machine guns in service, although the German police was allowed to carry a small number.) Secret funding was given to Vollmer to continue development, and this resulted in the VMP1926, which mostly differed from its predecessor by the removal of the cooling jacket. A subsequent development was the VMP1928, which introduced a 32-round box magazine sticking from the left side. The final development of this series was the VMP1930. (It can also be seen at the WTS.) This model introduced a substantive innovation: a telescoping main spring assembly, which made the gun more reliable and easier to assemble and disassemble in the field. Vollemer applied for a patent for his innovation in 1930 and it was granted in 1933 as DRP# 580620. His company, Vollmer Werke, produced however only about 400 of these, and most were sold to Bulgaria. In late 1930, the Reichswehr stopped supporting Vollmer financially; consequently he sold the rights to all his designs to the company known as Erma Werke (which is an abbreviation for Erfurter Maschinenfabrik, Berthold Geipel GmbH).
The submachine guns that Erma started to sell in 1932 under the names EMP (Erma Maschinenpistole) or MPE (Maschinenpistole Erma) was basically just the VMP1930 with the cooling jacket restored. Although there were several variants with varying barrel lengths and sights made to customers' specifications, roughly three main variants were produced: one with a 30 cm barrel, tangent rear sight and bayonet lug was apparently sold to Bulgaria or Yugoslavia. The second model, sometimes called the MP34, or the "standard model", had a 25 cm barrel and no provision for a bayonet; the rear sight on these varies - some had a tangent sight, others a simplified flip-up "L" sight. A third variant was basically similar in the metallic parts, but replaced the foregrip with a MP18-style stock with finger-grooves. Overall, at least 10,000 of these Vollmer-based designs were made by Erma. They were adopted by the SS in 1936, but also sold to South-American countries and to Spain, where it was subsequently manufactured locally under the designation M41/44.
In the Spring of 1939, a large number of defeated Spanish Republicans fled to France, where they were disarmed. Some 3,250 EMPs formerly in the possession of these fighters ended up in a French warehouse at Clermont-Ferrand. The EMPs were usually referred to as the "Erma-Vollmer" in French documents. The French tested the weapons and decided to adopt them for their own service. A provisional manual was printed in French as Provisoire sur le pistolet-mitrailleur Erma - Vollmer de 9mm, issued on December 26, 1939 and updated in January 6, 1940. However, the French had obtained only some 1,540 suitable magazines for these guns, so only 700-800 EMPs were actually distributed to the French forces, mostly to the Mobile Gendarmerie. After the NSDAP conquered France, some EMPs armed the Legion of French Volunteers Against Bolshevism, which eventually became part of the SS Charlemagne division. This division was practically destroyed in February 1945 in Eastern Prussia, now part of Poland.
Numerous EMPs have been found in the last-stand battlefields of the SS Charlemagne division; most of these guns lack any German military stamps or marks. The EMPs which arrived in German hands via the French route were given the (Fremdgerät) designation 740(f).
In Francoist Spain, the EMP was produced chambered in the 9mm Largo cartridge. It was informally known as "subfusil [modelo] Coruña".
Caliber 9 mm
Rate of fire 550 rpm
Muzzle velocity 380 m/s (1,200 ft/s)
Effective firing range 150 m (490 ft)
Maximum firing range 250 m (820 ft)
Feed system 32-round magazine
This product is not available for shipping in US state(s)
Washington, New Jersey
This product is not available for international shipping.
- This item is completely legal within the USA. International Military Antiques, Inc observes all Federal, State and Local laws. Everything for sale on ima-usa.com is completely legal to own, trade, transport and sell within the United States of America. Every display machine gun and machine gun parts set and gun sold by IMA, Inc is engineered to be inoperable according to guidelines provided by the US Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATF). Please note that the requirements for each display gun are decided on a per case basis by the BATF, and may require deactivation or omission of some internal components. For more information on this display gun, please contact us. Not available for Export.
Due to State & Federal law we do not ship magazines that exceed the following capacities to the following locations, and a deactivated magazine will be sent:
California - 10 round maximum for all magazines.
Colorado - 15 round maximum for all magazines.
Connecticut - 10 round maximum for all magazines.
Hawaii - 10 round maximum for all magazines.
Illinois - 15 round maximum for Chicago and Aurora. 10 round maximum for Oak Park and Cook County.
Maryland - 10 round maximum for all magazines.
Massachusetts - 10 round maximum for all magazines
New Jersey - 10 round maximum for all magazines.
New York- 7 round maximum for all magazines.
Washington, D.C. - 10 round maximum for all magazines.
Washington (State) - 10 round maximum for all magazines.
- Not eligible for payment with Paypal or Amazon