Item:
ONSV22NAS79

Original German Pre-WWI Karabiner 88 s Cavalry Carbine by Erfurt Arsenal dated 1893 with Sling - Matching Serial 2231 g

Item Description

Original Item: Only One Available. Adopted in 1888 the new German Infantry round in 7.92 X 57mm replaced the old 10.4mm large bore cartridge adopted in 1871. The M-1888 Rifle was referred to as the "Commission Rifle" and was manufactured as a full Infantry Rifle and a Carbine starting in 1888 and an Artillery Carbine adopted in 1891.

Our example is of the Cavalry Carbine is marked over the chamber with (CROWN) / ERFURT. / 1893., for 1890 manufacture at the Imperial Erfurt Arsenal, located in Thuringia. The right side of the receiver is marked with Kar. 88. / nm in German blackface type, and there are additional proof marks on various components of the carbine. The receiver, barrel jacket, magazine housing, bolt, and other components are marked with serial number 2231 /g, or shortened number 31. That makes this a very desirable ALL MATCHING example, with no parts swapped out over the years, and it's a great one!

The stock is in excellent condition, with a lovely chestnut brown color, most likely made from Beechwood. It has been arsenal reconditioned, which has made the proof marks faint, but there are no repairs we can see. The metalwork looks to have been well preserved, and has had the markings highlighted with white paint. It is in very good shape, with strong bluing on the barrel jacket and fittings, and a slightly faded bright steel patina on the receiver. There is even a stripper clip stored in the magazine, held in place by the removable floor plate.

The carbine has an 18" barrel and an very good bore, showing a bright finish with clear lands and grooves. There is just a bit of wear and oxidation in the grooves. It bears an S marked over the chamber to indicate modification for the S-PATRONE cartridge introduced in 1903 (we do not recommend firing the S-cartridge in this carbine). This short carbine was intended for use by cavalry units.

There is a sling fitted to the carbine, which does look to be quite old, but we do not know if it is original issue, or fitted sometime in the early 20th century.

The upper barrel band / sight guard has a great regimental marking: 1. Ch. 2. 85., for the The 1st Royal Bavarian Chevau-légers "Emperor Nicholas of Russia" (Königlich Bayerisches Chevaulegers-Regiment „Kaiser Nikolaus von Rußland“ Nr. 1), 2nd Squadron (Eskadron), Weapon (Waffen) #85. This was a light cavalry regiment of the Royal Bavarian Army, and later Imperial German Army. The regiment was formed in Nuremberg, Fürth during 1682, and was part of the III Royal Bavarian Corps. They fought in the Battle of Vienna, the Great Turkish War, the War of the Spanish Succession, the War of the Austrian Succession, the Napoleonic Wars, the Austro-Prussian War, the Franco-Prussian War, and World War I. The regiment was disbanded in 1919. This is the exact type of unit that would have been issued this type of carbine.

In 1891 this was cutting edge technology as the Gewehr 1888 Mauser rifles and carbines were the first to use the 7.92mm cartridge that replaced the 10.4mm used in the Mauser 1871/84 tubular magazine rifles.

This little carbine used an integral 5 shot box magazine and was extremely popular. It was superseded in 1898 with the introduction of the Gew 98 rifle also in an updated version of the same caliber and many 88s were updated and then marked with a small "S" on the receiver ring to indicate it could be used with the upgraded ammunition.

Both the Mauser Model 88 and 98 rifles and carbines saw extensive use in WWI. During the Great War cavalry was quickly becoming a thing of the past once trench warfare was introduced.

By WW2 the Germans had adopted the Mauser 98K Rifle, again in the improved 7.92mm caliber, this rifle was shorter than the Gew 98, longer than the carbine, and became the standard.

A rare 1890 dated Mauser Kar 88 Carbine, only 37" in overall length, federally classified as an antique due to its pre-1898 manufacture date. In great condition and ready to display!

Specifications-

Year of Manufacture: 1893
Caliber: 7.92×57mm Mauser S Patrone
Cartridge Type: Centerfire Cartridge
Barrel Length: 18 Inches
Overall Length: 37 1/2 Inches
Action type: Bolt-Action
Feed System: 5 round internal magazine

History of the Gewehr 88

In 1886, the French Army unveiled the Modelle 1886 "Lebel" rifle. There was an immediate reaction in German military circles bordering on hysteria. Why? Because the Lebel was the world's first small bore military rifle using an efficient smokeless powder cartridge. Now, the Lebel, which used a tubular magazine located under the barrel was not a particularly noteworthy design, but the power and flat trajectory of the new French 8mm round far outclassed the 11mm Reichspatrone black powder round used in the contemporary German infantry rifle, the Mauser 71/84.

In this rather charged atmosphere, the German Gewehr Prfungs Kommission (GPK - Rifle Testing Commission) went to work. Initially, the idea was to revise the Mauser Gewehr 71/84 to use a small caliber smokeless powder round based on the old 11mm black powder Reichspatrone. To this extent, production machinery was ordered from the Ludwig Loewe Company of Berlin-Charlottenburg in December, 1887. As things progressed, the GPK became disillusioned with this technical approach, and so a rather strange hybrid of ideas took shape.

The bolt design was highly revised by a Spandau Arsenal technician named Louis Schlegelmilch and features a separate bolt head. The ensuing rifle had a Schlegelmilch/Mauser action, a five shot clip loaded Mannlicher style magazine (note: while the clip falls out as with the Mannlicher clips, this one was markedly improved in that it could be loaded with either end down as opposed to only one end on the true Mannlicher), and a full length barrel jacket designed by Armand Mieg. The pitch and profile of the rifling were copied directly from that of the Lebel. The cartridge chosen was a modified Swiss style rimless design based on the ideas of Eduard Rubin. By March 23, 1888, the Bavarian military observer in Berlin, General von Xylander reported that the development was virtually complete.

Field trials for the new rifle were completed in November, 1888, and the GPK recommended that it be adopted immediately. The adoption orders were signed by Kaiser Wilhelm II on November 12, 1888. Issue of the Gewehr 88 as the new rife was designated, were first made in the spring of 1889 to the XV and XVI Armeekorps stationed in Elsass-Lothringen. Issue to the Bavarian military units began in October 1889, and by August 1890, all Prussian, Saxon, and Wurttemberger line units had been re-equipped.

The Gewehr 88 was made by the three primary Prussian arsenals at Danzig, Erfurt, and Spandau, a smaller Bavarian establishment at Amberg, as well as several private contractors, including the Ludwig Loewe Company, Osterreichische Waffenfabrik Gesellschaft (Steyr), and Haenel. Production figures up to the time production ceased in 1897 are as follows:

Prussian Government Arsenals: 750,000

Amberg: 425,000

Loewe: 425,000

Steyr: 300,000

Haenel: 100,000

Total: 1,675,000

  • This product is not available for shipping in US state(s)
    New Jersey


    This product is not available for international shipping.
  • Not eligible for payment with Paypal or Amazon

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Cash For Collectibles