Shopping Cart ( 0 )
View cart
Original German Pre-WWI Gewehr 1888 Commission Rifle by Spandau Arsenal - Dated 1890 has a rating of 5.0 stars based on 1 reviews.
ASK A QUESTION
Item:
ON10195

Original German Pre-WWI Gewehr 1888 Commission Rifle by Spandau Arsenal - Dated 1890

Regular price $795.00

Item Description

Original Item: Only one Available. This is a good example of the iconic German Gewehr 1888 "Commission Rifle", also known as the Gewehr 88, or GEW 88. It was manufactured by the Steyr Mannlicher firearms division of Österreichische Waffenfabriksgesellschaft (ŒWG, Austrian Arms-Manufacturing Company) in Austria. The rifle then and then saw long service, as indicated by the large amount of wear on the gun, as well as the mismatch bolt serial numbers.

These rifles were originally chambered for 7.92mm Patrone 88 ammunition and had a fixed magazine. Virtually all Gewehr 88 rifles in service have the the tell tale "notch" cut into the rear of the receiver ring to accept the slightly longer spitzer-type S Patrone cartridge. This indicated that they were converted to take the 7.92×57mm Mauser S Patrone, and had an "S" stamped above the chamber, indicating the conversion. However, this rifle has neither the S, nor the notch, and also does not have the rear stripper clip guides. This means that this rifle is in the original configuration, something we have not offered before!

The right side of the receiver is marked faintly with Gew. 88. in German blackface type and also has serial numbers 4448 on the barrel 4932 on the receiver. The rest of the rifles components bear various different numbers, indicating a long service life for this rifle, and most likely years spent as a reserve weapon. Over the chamber it is marked (CROWN) / SPANDAU / 1890, indicating production at the Prussian/Imperial Spandau arsenal in Berlin. This was a storied
production plant that would produce weapons up until 1919, including the famous MG08 Maxim. The rifle is also regimentally marked on the nose cap with E. 11. 239., indicating issue to an "Ersatz" (replacement) reserve regiment. This is most likely not the first regimental marking the rifle has had.

Rifle is in good used condition, with a solid stock and metalwork. It has however seen significant use, so it has a lot of wear. It does however retain the rare "double slot" cleaning rod, which is in good shape. The receiver and bolt were originally bright steel, however both have faded to a gray patina. The barrel jacket still has a nice faded blue, with some rust peppering. The stock does not have any repairs or major damage, but has been sanded down several times, so the original markings are not visible. It does however have lovely curl in the grain. The bore shows lands and grooves and is clean, however it also shows wear.

An absolutely genuine GERMAN contract M-1888 Service Rifle, as originally issued! Almost all of these were later updated to the 88 S and 88/15 S standards, so finding one that was not updated or shipped to Turkey as aid is very rare. Fully cleaned and ready to display!

History of the Gewehr 88

In 1886, the French Army unveiled the Modelle 1886 "Lebel" rifle. There was an immediate reaction in German military circles bordering on hysteria. Why? Because the Lebel was the world's first small bore military rifle using an efficient smokeless powder cartridge. Now, the Lebel, which used a tubular magazine located under the barrel was not a particularly noteworthy design, but the power and flat trajectory of the new French 8mm round far outclassed the 11mm Reichspatrone black powder round used in the contemporary German infantry rifle, the Mauser 71/84.

In this rather charged atmosphere, the German Gewehr Prfungs Kommission (GPK - Rifle Testing Commission) went to work. Initially, the idea was to revise the Mauser Gewehr 71/84 to use a small caliber smokeless powder round based on the old 11mm black powder Reichspatrone. To this extent, production machinery was ordered from the Ludwig Loewe Company of Berlin-Charlottenburg in December, 1887. As things progressed, the GPK became disillusioned with this technical approach, and so a rather strange hybrid of ideas took shape.

The bolt design was highly revised by a Spandau Arsenal technician named Louis Schlegelmilch and features a separate bolt head. The ensuing rifle had a Schlegelmilch/Mauser action, a five shot clip loaded Mannlicher style magazine (note: while the clip falls out as with the Mannlicher clips, this one was markedly improved in that it could be loaded with either end down as opposed to only one end on the true Mannlicher), and a full length barrel jacket designed by Armand Mieg. The pitch and profile of the rifling were copied directly from that of the Lebel. The cartridge chosen was a modified Swiss style rimless design based on the ideas of Eduard Rubin. By March 23, 1888, the Bavarian military observer in Berlin, General von Xylander reported that the development was virtually complete.

Field trials for the new rifle were completed in November, 1888, and the GPK recommended that it be adopted immediately. The adoption orders were signed by Kaiser Wilhelm II on November 12, 1888. Issue of the Gewehr 88 as the new rife was designated, were first made in the spring of 1889 to the XV and XVI Armeekorps stationed in Elsass-Lothringen. Issue to the Bavarian military units began in October 1889, and by August 1890, all Prussian, Saxon, and Wrttemberger line units had been re-equipped.

The Gewehr 88 was made by the three primary Prussian arsenals at Danzig, Erfurt, and Spandau, a smaller Bavarian establishment at Amberg, as well as several private contractors, including the Ludwig Loewe Company, Osterreichische Waffenfabrik Gesellschaft (Steyr), and Haenel. Production figures up to the time production ceased in 1897 are as follows:

Prussian Government Arsenals: 750,000

Amberg: 425,000

Loewe: 425,000

Steyr: 300,000

Haenel: 100,000

Total: 1,675,000

Specifications-

Year of Manufacture: 1890
Caliber: Patrone M/88 8.08mm x 57mm
Cartridge Type: Centerfire Cartridge
Barrel Length: 29 Inches
Overall Length: 49 Inches
Action type: Bolt-Action
Feed System: 5 round internal magazine

Shipping Restrictions

    This product is not available for shipping in US state(s)
    New Jersey


    This product is not available for international shipping.

Legal Information

  • IMA considers all of our antique guns as non-firing, inoperable and/or inert. Title 18, U.S. Code, Section 921(a)(16) defines antique firearms as all guns made prior to 1899. This law exempts antique firearms from any form of gun control or special engineering because they are not legally considered firearms. No FFL, C&R or any license is required to possess, transport, sell or trade Antique guns. All rifles and muskets sold by IMA that were manufactured prior to 1899 are considered Antiques by the US BATF (United States Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms). Therefore, all of IMA's Antique guns may be shipped to all US States and most nations around the world.

    These antique guns are not sold in "live" condition. They are sold as collector's items or as "wall hangers". Any attempt at restoring an antique gun to be operational is strongly discouraged and is done so at the risk of the customer. By purchasing an antique gun from IMA you thereby release IMA, its employees and corporate officers from any and all liability associated with use of our Antique guns.

    Pre-1899 Manufacture, no licenses required, allowed to ship to almost any deliverable address across the globe. Please note that for international shipping, these MUST be shipped using UPS WW Services.

Payment Options

    Not eligible for payment with Paypal or Amazon

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Cash For Collectibles

WE BUY MILITARY ANTIQUES