Original German Mauser Model 1871/84 Magazine Service Rifle by Spandau Dated 1886 - Matching Serial 490
Original Item: Only One Available. This is a wonderful example of the Mauser Model 1871/84 rifle, which does not appear to have seen much service at all. It is covered with Imperial German inspection and acceptance markings on the metal work. The serial number 490 appears on the barrel, bolt, and receiver, while the rest of the components bear the shortened serial 90.
The receiver is dated 1886 and marked I. G. Mod. 71/84. on the opposite side. It also has regimental markings on the butt plate tang: 3.G.G.R. / E.3.235. This is most likely from the 3rd (Queen Elizabeth) Guards Grenadiers Regiment from Charlottenburg Berlin, E Company, 3rd Battalion, weapon 235.
The rifle is complete with all major parts intact and functional. The exterior metal finish on the fittings does show some wear, but still has a lot of the original bluing, and is most attractive. The wood stock is in very good condition, and has not been sanded down at all, so all proofs are clear and crisp. The beech wood has a lovely amber color, with a good amount of flame/figuring on the buttstock. There are two gouges on the sides upper fore stock above the upper sling swivel, which are the only thing keeping this stock from being excellent. There are also some small gouges in the metal around this area, rather suggesting that the rifle was used to defend against an edged weapon while in service.
The bore is in very good condition, with clear lands and grooves, and a mostly bright finish with some light oxidation. The top of the chamber is marked Crown over SPANDAU, for the Prussian (and later Imperial) Spandau arsenal in Berlin, a storied production plant that would produce weapons up until 1919, including the famous MG08 Maxim.
This gun is most likely a WW1 Veteran's "bring back" souvenir, as this rifle is in truly excellent condition. Great quantities of these 71/84 Rifles were pressed into service in WW1 since great piles of them had been put into storage in 1888 with the introduction of the M-1888 7.92mm German Commission Rifle.
Originally adopted as the Gewehr 71 or Infanterie-Gewehr 71, or "Infantry Rifle 71 ("I.G.Mod.71" was stamped on the rifles themselves) this was the first rifle model in a distinguished line designed and manufactured by Paul Mauser and Wilhelm Mauser of the Mauser company, and later mass-produced at Spandau arsenal.
Paul Mauser developed his bolt-action rifle from 1866 to 1871. During 1870-71 trials with many different rifles took place, with the "M1869 Bavarian Werder" being the Mausers' chief competitor. The Mauser was provisionally adopted on 2 December 1871, pending the development of an appropriate safety. With support from the government's Spandau arsenal, the improvements to the safety mechanism were completed and the rifle was formally accepted on 14 February 1872 as Infantry Rifle Model 1871 by the German Empire excluding Bavaria. The action was not based on its predecessor, the Dreyse needle gun which had seen service during the Franco-Prussian War of 1870-71, and which was found to have a number of weaknesses.
The now well known Mauser "wing" type safety lever was developed for the Gewehr 71. The Gewehr 71 is a conventional looking bolt action chambered in 11mm using black powder cartridges. The action included only a bolt guide rib as its single locking lug, locking forward of the receiving bridge. The original design was a single-shot. The design was updated in 1884 with an 8-round tubular magazine designed by Alfred von Kropatschek, making this Germany's first repeating rifle. This version was designated the Gewehr 1871/84. A version of this repeater was adopted by the Ottoman Empire. Designated the M1887, it differentiated from the M71/84 in that it had a side mounted cleaning rod, a second locking lug on the rear of the bolt, and it was in caliber 9.5×60mmR, which Paul Mauser touted as the most efficient (black powder) cartridge. In the early 20th century a few were converted to 7.65×53mm smokeless by the arsenal in Ankara.
Offered in very nice fully functional condition.
Year of Manufacture: 1886
Caliber: 11x60mmR Mauser
Cartridge Type: Centerfire Cartridge
Barrel Length: 32 inches
Overall Length: 51 Inches
Action type: Bolt-Action
Feed System: 8 Round Tubular Magazine
NOTE: International orders of antique firearms MUST be shipped using UPS WW Services (courier). USPS Priority Mail international will not accept these.
This product is not available for shipping in US state(s)
This product is available for international shipping.
IMA considers all of our antique guns as non-firing, inoperable and/or inert. Title 18, U.S. Code, Section 921(a)(16) defines antique firearms as all guns made prior to 1899. This law exempts antique firearms from any form of gun control or special engineering because they are not legally considered firearms. No FFL, C&R or any license is required to posses, transport, sell or trade Antique guns. All rifles and muskets sold by IMA that were manufactured prior to 1899 are considered Antiques by the US BATF (United States Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms). Therefore, all of IMA's Antique guns may be shipped to all US States and most nations around the world.
These antique guns are not sold in live condition. They are sold as collector’s items or as wall hangers. Any attempt at restoring an antique gun to be operational is strongly discouraged and is done so at the risk of the customer. By purchasing an antique gun from IMA you thereby release IMA, its employees and corporate officers from any and all liability associated with use of our Antique guns.
Pre-1899 Manufacture, no licenses required, allowed to ship to almost any deliverable address across the globe. Please note that for international shipping, these MUST be shipped using UPS WW Services.
Not eligible for payment with Paypal or Amazon