Original German Early WWII SA Dagger by Gebrüder Christians of Solingen with Belt Hanger
Original Item: Only One Available. This is a very nice early pattern SA Dagger, made by firm of Gebrüder Christians in the legendary blade-making city of Solingen, Germany. It comes comes compete with the original scabbard, as well as a leather belt hanger clip. The dagger has solid nickel silver fittings throughout, and is a nice example. The crossguards and tang nut are in very good condition throughout with all fittings having a nice aged patina. There is a little age to these mounts but there is no lifting anywhere, showing that they are solid and not plated.
The lower reverse guard is Gruppe/Gau marked Nrh, for Niederrhein (Lower Rhine Region), which encompassed a relatively small border area north of Cologne along the Rhine.
The grip is a fine product having a nice red brown color, with having medium center ridge construction. This grip is in good condition and fits the crossguards nicely, thought it has shrunk a bit. There is also a crack through the bottom near the SA Rune, and a small crack on the other side as well. The runes button is nicely set, and still has almost all of the enamel intact. The grip eagle is a fine example being the style with beak that points straight. The details are still there to the eagle to include the beak, breast feathering, wing feathering, talons, wreath and mobile swastika. The nickel plating on both insignia is fully intact.
The scabbard shell is straight throughout and is the early-war style, with a brown "anodized" finish on the steel, which was then lacquered. The lacquer has flaked off over much of the shell, but the brown color is still strong, with minimal wear and oxidation. The upper and lower fittings are solid nickel silver, and have a nice patina, with some dents and scratches showing typical wear. The bottom fitting is dented in, typical of the softer alloy. The throat nicely matches the crossguards and the screws for the top and bottom mounts are still present.
The blade of this example is marked CHRISTIANSWERK over SOLINGEN in an oval border around their trademark "Three-Tined Fork." This is a mark used during the early WWII Period by Gebrüder Christians, Christianswerk, Stahlwarenfabrik in Solingen, the legendary "City of Blades" in western Germany. The blade is is in good condition, with runner marks as well as some staining and light oxidation in places. The original factory cross grain can still be seen throughout the blade, however unfortunately this blade was sharpened at some point. These daggers were ceremonial only, so normally would have never been sharpened by the owner, however after capture many GIs would sharpen them to use. The acid-etched Alles für Deutschland SA motto is crisp, and still retains most of the factory darkening.
A nice early war SA dagger, with original scabbard and belt hanger. Ready to display!
History of the SA-
The SA or Brown Shirts, were a private political formation which Adolf Hitler and the NSDAP used to maintain order at organized Party meetings and demonstrations. The group was formed in 1921, and grew to a huge force of nearly 3,000,000 men by the later 1930's. To instill esprit de corps, as well as create employment for the Blade City of Solingen, it was decided each SA man would carry a dagger with his Brown Shirt uniform. Huge quantities needed to be produced to accommodate the demand. The dagger initially was produced of hand-fitted nickel mounts with attractive finished wood grip and brown anodized (a bluing process) finished scabbard.
The blade was etched with the SA motto, Alles für Deutschland. Examples produced prior to 1935 were stamped with the German sector of the SA group on reverse lower crossguard. Later examples underwent standardization through the RZM ministry. These pieces were produced of cheaper plated zinc-base fittings and scabbards were simply painted brown.
Prior to his "unmasking" as a traitor, Ernst Röhm was the leader of the SA. In 1934, he distributed approximately 100,000 SA daggers with his personal inscription on the reverse blade. These daggers were to honor individuals who had served with the SA prior to December, 1931. Other than the inscription, these pieces were identical to the standard M1933 SA dagger. After the Röhm purge, the inscription was ordered to be removed. Many examples were returned to the factory for grinding. Others were simply ground in the field by whatever means were available. Examples will occasionally be encountered with remnants of the original inscription remaining on the blade, but mostly none will remain. Some blades exist with an intact inscription, reflecting only the removal of the Röhm signature. Very very rarely is an example seen with a full, untouched inscription, as the holder would have surely risked a charge of treason.
- This product is available for international shipping.
- Not eligible for payment with Paypal or Amazon