Original French WWI Ordnance Drawings by Jo. Tibesar - Set of 31
Original Item: This is a collection of thirty one original, hand-drawn engineering drawings of various ordnance items, from torpedoes to magnetic mines to artillery projectiles and a large sectional drawing of the Belgian M1889 Mauser infantry rifle. The drawings were all drawn and signed by Jo. Tibesar and are labeled in both French and Dutch.
Several are one in color. Each one is drawn on lightweight vellum, the typical mechanical drawing material of the time, and all are backed by a sheet of heavyweight paper.
Section drawings is the original engineering term for what we call cross-sectional drawings, and Tibesar’s work shows the internal parts and structure of ordnance items belonging to both the Central Powers and the Allied Powers at the outbreak of the Great War.
We have never seen equivalent work anyplace else, in part because documents of this kind are considered to have a limited application period. In other words, once engineering drawings have ceased to be current, it is common for them to be obsoleted, or destroyed. It is much more unlikely that this collection of engineering drawings survived, because they were produced just before the Great War commenced, and The Total War process that was applied from the beginning of the Great War spared VERY little of the scientific, technical, and cultural material that existed before the War.
The total destruction of the famous Library of Louvain by the Germans in August of 1914 and its priceless, irreplaceable documents is an indicator of the value placed on both historical and technical documentation during the War. We believe these few originals must have been in the possession of a private individual at the outbreak of the War, or else they would have perished.
This set of original engineering drawings constitutes a priceless into the status of a wide range of ordnance material existing at the outbreak of the Great War. It is well worth noting that 2014 being the hundredth anniversary of the outbreak of the Great War puts a premium on any technical date existing at that time.
List of WW 1 Ordnance Drawings by Jo. Tibesar
1. 34 x 23 Schema d’ensemble de la drage divergente Romarche
2. 19 x 25 PERCUTEUR A INERTIE
3. 27 x 14 Principe du fonctionnement du piston hydrostatique et du pendule theoretical
4. 24 x 35 Fig. 8
5. 22 x 20 KEGELS-CONES PRACTICE & COMBAT
6. 18 x 22 SOUPAPE D’ADMISSION A CAME
7. 26 x 49 SCHEMA DES DIVERSES FORMATIONS EN DRAGAGE
8. 21 x 13 APPAREIL WALSER
9. 21 x 18 DETECTEUR RIES
10. 27 x 32 MINE ELECTRIQUE ANGLAISE DE FILET
11. 48 x 35 Mines et torpilles sous-marines
12. 27 x 38 SOUPAPE DIFFERENTIELLE
13. 27 x 27 Cisaille a explosive
14. 18 x 32 Mines de blocus Fig 5
15. 44 x 33 POINTE PERCUTANTE
16. 47 x 37 COUPE D’UN RECHAUFFEUR A PETROLE ET A INJECTION D’EAU
17. 89 x 38 GRENADE TYPE ARTILLERIE, APPAREIL DE MISE DE FEU
18. 69 x 45 APPAREIL REGULATEUR D’IMMERSION DE MINE ALLEMANDE
19. 49 x 47 ENGIN FUMIGENE BERGER AVEC FLOTTEUR
20. 52 x 37 ALAGEMEEN VOORSTELLING TORPEDO MET WATERINSPUITING
21. 49 x 63 Mine allemande
22. 49 x 46 POINTAGE DEFINITIONS
23. 21 x 47 Machine Matrice Fig 13
24. 114 x 45 Belgian M1889 Mauser Rifle
25. 15 x 23 TUBE C
26. 36 x 44 MINE MECHANIQUE ANGLAIS A PISTOLET
27. 68 x 48 TYPE D’OBUS EXPLOSIF [Many artillery projectile sections]
28. 49 x 55 CENTRE BUIS
29. 74 x 48 [Many section drawings of artillery projectiles]
30. 74 x 49 CANON DE 8.8 CM
31. 22 x 13 ECOUTEUR WALSER DETERMINATION DU FOYER SONDRE
This product is available for international shipping.
Eligible for all payments - Visa, Mastercard, Discover, AMEX, Paypal, Amazon & Affirm